Winter fishing

Wayne Duffin 3

Reaction score
Is it me or does this year seem a harder on the fishing. As no matter where i go i struggle to catch anything. I know we are still in winter but i am even finding it hard to catch the pike. Normally i can have one or two out but for some reason i have found it a lot harder this year to get any kind of result no matter what sort of fishing i do. Is anyone else having the same problems or is it just me?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's always harder this time of year Wayne, the fish tend to shoal up the colder it gets.
So many of your best known spots could be empty of fish. Time to get mouching about my friend.

Wayne Duffin 3

Reaction score
Baz. I know what you are saying mate it just seem's to me that it is a bad winter in terms of weather as we have not had a settled spell yet. There is a stretch of canal that i could almost garantee a few fish at this time of year even if there is snow on the ground and that has even failed to produce the goods. Hopefully once we get a settled spell the fishing might pick up.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

So far this year I've just been fishing short sessions for Chub roving various venues with cheesepaste as bait. The low clear conditions haven't helped but the fishing has been pretty good so far.

What are you fishing for and on what type of venues ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think it depends where you're fishing, spate rivers like the Ribble have been up and down like a yo-yo, and conditions have generally been unstable. It's not been a good winter for me, compared to a lot of other winters anyway.

Wayne Duffin 3

Reaction score
I know what you mean Graham as a i can normally get a few fish to bite even on my local stretch of canal as i know where they normally shoal up in the winter. So far this year i have fished all sort's of venues from canal's to large rivers like the Thames and the Kennet. I have been fishing for pike on the rivers and lakes with all the normal bait's ie deads, live's and lures. I have been after the roach in my local canal which i fish all the time in winter with all the bait's ranging from pinkies and squatt up to bread punch. I have also fished a small river round the corner from me for the chub and they are not even biting. All i can say is roll on the warmer weather.

chubber

Reaction score
In this part of the country the weather seems to have been unsettled since July. Water temperatures have been up and down like a yo-yo and the fishing has been difficult. The lakes have been mostly unproductive and it's not me thats found it hard but so has practically every angler I've spoken to. Lets hope that this year we get some nice long spells of warm weather to get the fish active.

J

jason fisher

i really should go fishing the only bites i get are on here.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you all sure that some of your fish are not being stolen?

Wayne Duffin 3

Reaction score
Thinking about ot you are right chubber the fishing has been hard since the middle of summer. Mind you saying that it does not help with all these immargrants coming over here and fishing like they do at home ie catch a fish and take it home. There was once an angler fishing just along from me (during the summer) who was catching a few fish but i never saw him put any back so i reeled in and went down to see what was going on when i arrived in his swim i stayed and watched him for a while. While i was there he had another one and he put it in a bag to take home any way to cut a long story short he ended up going in and the fish put back. Needless to say a few of them were all ready dead but the rest were able to swim away. So if that was happening all over the country then it is no surprise that the fishing has gone right down hill.