ACTIV 8 OR ASSASIN 8

T

The Seeker of Truth & Justice

Ive caught a lot of carp on active 8 but theyve been all sizes. suppose it depends where your fishing.

C

Carp Angler

Not wishing to be scornful or negative, but I think you should really read previous posts about bait and not be drawn in by advertising hype.

D

David Will

Ben by worrying about questions such as this you are on to a loser before you even start.If you get the basics right such as location a quiet approach you are almost there.On a scale of 1 to 10 bait rates about 2.All the commercially available baits will catch Carp of all sizes.Pick one stick with it.The recent record was caught on bits of yellow foam because the bait was in the right place at the right time.Have confidence and you are well on your way.

R

Rob Brownfield

Quick question though...If a water is being hammered on say Activ-8...is it not sensible to also use the same bait if its regularly producing?

i agree that its more important to find where the fish are feeding...

D

Dave Rothery

Good point Rob, but if everyones using the same bait, then the fish are only going to be caught on that bait.Isn't it also worth trying a different hookbait over the going bait? Trips up a lot of the craftier fish. Dont forget that someone had to be the first one to try Activ8/Aminos/Club Mix,etc and they reaped the benifits!

C

Cakey

Rik
you know all them there baits are to catch anglers not fish! CAKEY

C

Carp Angler

That was my point Cakey, asking which bait is better for bigger fish is totally missing the point when it comes to bait, its application and fishing in general.

Dave Fry

Reaction score
Without wishing to be drawn into a "best bait" debate,i would have thought that if the fish are already on the bait,then the best way to be selective would be by bait size.
whilst i am aware that even small to medium size carp are capable of taking large baits,in my experience larger baits do make a difference in being selective.(be prepared for a slow down in catch rate though)

D

Dave Silvers

With regard to the yellow plastic foam, I fished this weekend and had 14 fish, 4 carp,7 tench and 3 bream over a 10 hour session. I had one rod cast into open water with a monster crab snowman rig with a PVA bag of goodies, this accounted for 1 tench of about 1/2lb,(smallest fish of the day) all the other fish came from exactly the same margin spot(including an 11lb mirror)using one grain of sweetcorn on a hair, counterbalanced with one of those imitation plastic sweetcorn, to give neutral bouyancy.
After a while I experimented with just the plastic corn, the catch rate didn't drop and the last 6 fish where taken on a single piece of unflavoured yellow plastic. Didn't even have to re-bait after catching just dropped the rig back in.
So much for high-tech baits.
Any comments.

C

Carp Angler

Dave F, yes I've used big baits to attempt to catch larger specimens and it has worked to some degree.
It takes a big leap of faith to switch from 10 fish a day, to 3 aborted takes and not want to switch back again.

Dave S,(too many Daves, more nicknames required please)
This goes back to my point about bait placement and getting the fish into a feeding situation.
Get the fish feeding confidently and they will take anything that even remotely resembles food.
I've been using cork balls on the surface for quite a number of years, you just need to get them feeding confidently on Chum and they are there for the taking. (Ask Brummie about the first time we fished together on a large and difficult Oxfordshire gravel pit)

Rod Hutchinson has said on many occasions, when other companies profess that their baits are designed for big fish, that any bait that is only accepted by big fish means that it is ignored by 98% of all other carp.

I've found the quote.....
"The biggest joke of all?
Big fish baits or big fish flavours!
Does that mean that other carp will not eat it?
Carp will eat almost anything, including their own excrement.
But this stuff is that good, 98% of the carp will not eat it?
Well I never?"

T

The Seeker of Truth & Justice

I heard that active 8 is made from gravy browning. is that right?

D

Dave Silvers

Dave S,(too many Daves, more nicknames required please)

Carp Angler (nearly mis-spelt carp then) just for you I will start to sign my messages with a nickname I picked up many years ago, I'd almost forgotten about it untill you got me thinking.

Regards Chub !!!!

G

GYPSY DAVE

The angler formerly known as DAVE FRY.(hope this helps the "dave" problem.)
With regards to "from ten runs a day to 3 aborted takes", i was under the impression that ben was trying to be selective,so if the fish was unable to take the bait i can only assume it was not of the size he was trying to target,so doing the job it was intended to do.
Unless,of course, i misunderstood the question of how to target the larger carp in a lake!!!!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Dave (Silvers)

Don't do it! We already have a Dave AKA Chub with Dave Johnson, and he would get very upset if another one appeared. He's as proud of that name as his namesake Stu Johnson is proud to be called Skive.

Chub Johnson catches a lot of chub, mainly by accident when he's trying to catch barbel and getting cracked off. Calls himself Chub because he reckons the species have taken a liking to him.

He came to that conclusion following a dozen lagers and a netful of big dace.

D

Dave Silvers

OK Graham..........
Advice taken - Crap Angler (sorry Carp Angler) will just have to live with all the Daves online.

My name came about years ago when I wasn't really into fishing, but I worked with a group of blokes who were match anglers. They offered to take me fishing one day (guess who was the only one with a car) and you've guessed it, yes I caught a chub.
Seemed like a monster at the time but was probably about 2lb, anyway the name stuck and if I see any of them today I,m still refered to as Chub.

C

Carp Angler

Gypsey Dave, I thought I was agreeing with you.....
(Good nickname BTW)

C

Cakey

Riiiiiiik
how do I target the biggies on Farlows next weekend or you come and show me ?????????

Dave1 sorry dave2 sorry Dave45

CAKEY really