Best on the box

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
When I was a lad the only fishing I ever saw on TV was the great Jack Hargreaves on 'out of town'. More recently John Wilson came along with 'Go Fishing', and these days I'm spoilt for choice with all the fishing programmes on sky TV.

Of all the current fishing presenters for my money Matt Hayes is the best. Great all-rounder and comes across as a really genuine bloke.

Any other suggestions for a top 10?

B

Ben Hennessy

Wilson, each & every time - quite simply, the chap got me interested in angling...

B

BLAM

It must be either Paul Young or sexy Rexy Hunt with Kevin Green taking bronze! err hang on.. the best??

Matt Hayes/Mick Brown.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I'm an old fart so for me it has to be the Late Jack Hargreaves.

His "Out of Town" programmes were true classics.

chubber

Reaction score
Amongst the British presenters it has to be Matt Hayes (even better when Mick Brown's with him) and next has to be Paul Young.
John Wilson would the best if he would only stop his constant cackling. By halfway through any programme it becomes irritating.
If you like T & A with your fishing then check out the hotties that present "Fish On" on Bravo.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mat Hayes and Mick Brown.
But Wilson can be very entertaining if you watch and listen to him. His rudeness to other people can be quite funny.

J

jason fisher

wilson without a doubt,

followed by mick brown, it must be mick because matt hayes drives me barmy on his own. but i like the programmes they've done together.

Ergo

Reaction score
Here I am going to cast my vote for the late Jack Hargreaves. He kept it simple.

Hayes & Brown are OK, but Matt Hayes does seem to get a bit intense at times whereas Mick just laughs or grins.

I have never seen 'Fish On' on the bravo channel, so that is going on my list.

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Not seen fish on, must look out for that.

Im glad Im not the only one who thinks John Wilson can be a bit rude to his 'guests'.

Anyone every see Ted Tuckerman? He used to present a fishing section on the local news programme in the south west. Would always end up looking in other peoples nets because his was empty as I recall.

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
My favorite TV Fishing moment was when Mick brown saw his scales go over 40lb on a monument carp. Matt Hayes seemed genuinely pleased for the guy, and Mick looked gobsmacked. Brought a tear to the eye.

W

Wag

I would have to agree with all those who loved the Jack Hargreaves programs - a great communicator.

Of the modern crop of TV anglers I'd have to go for Jan Porter in Carp Crew. I'm not a carp angler, but I do find the way they explain techniques and methods is detailed and instructive. I particularly like the episode with John Hofgartner on his lake in France, stalking carp from the undergrowth.

I did like Darryl Grimason's program Coast to Coast, a tour along Irish waterways fishing for various species using differebt methods. He's not such a great angler, but does come across with great enthusiasm and a sense of the excitement I had as a little boy, which reminds me of why I go fishing in the first place.

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Perhaps H&L can bring back 'out of town' to our screens. havent seen it in years. Have to be a re-run of course. The great man is sadly departed.

A friend of mine in his youth spent a day being helped by another angler - only when his mum picked him up did she point out that it was Jack Hargreaves.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Darryl Grimason, yes he is good to watch purely for the exitement and pleasure on his face when he catches, his whole face lights up.

An example of Wilsons rudeness and ignorance.
He was fishing with a chap who was in a wheel chair on a charter boat.
Wilson had just landed his fish, and turned to the chap in the wheelchair and said, You have'nt caught anything yet, but when you do I suppose it will be harder for you to land as you are in a wheelchair.
As if the bloke needed reminding.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Jack Hargreves was the best by a country mile.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Most of us seem to be in agreement then. Jack Hargreaves was the very best.

He put it over so well, was never condescending, rude and didn't have an idiotically irritating laugh.

Neither did he curse when he broke his rod.

B

BLAM

If he was around today I wonder whether he'd end up being another advertising hoarding?

I'm sure Fox would love to put a logo on that pipe.