Spicy Bait additives

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
I have had some success recently with garam-masala and turmeric flavoured maggots for tench and carp, and I've read that chilli flakes can be good at this time of year. What other spicy baits might work?

I fancy trying enchilada or burrito spice mixes on luncheon meat. Does anyone else have any experience with mexican baits?

rodders

Reaction score
Hi Rob,
One of the best barbel catches I ever had (in quantity of fish)was taken after I had called into the supermarket to buy a lunch to take fishing. I bought two peices of spicy curry chicken. My fingers were covered with the stuff after eating it and I couldn't go wrong all afternoon. So maybe curry is the thing???

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Rob,
Take a look at some of the van den eynde flavours like:

Anniseed - ground fennel seeds

Venkel - which is a peppery sort of flavour

Turmeric - you mentioned alredy, but one advantage is that it will also de-grease your maggots as well as flavouring them

The rule of thumb with these is to use a spicy one in the winter and a sweet one in the summer, however, I have had some great roach catches in the winter on strwaberry flavour, so maybe give a sweet flavour a try one in a while.

Hope this helps.

N

NottmDon

You'd have no problems with using either as additives Rob, although I would imagine its a tad expensive. Archie Braddock wrote a book a few years ago "Fantastic Feeder Fishing" which is a good read by the way, and he mentioned an additive called "zing" or some such name that was bright red and roach were going nuts for it, out of curiosity he had a taste and it near burnt his mouth out! Why anglers get stuck on the theory that fish like "hot and spicy flavours in winter" and "Sweet flavours" in summer is something I have never worked out! Recent success this winter as come on strawberry home made boilies, not by design I might add, I just picked the wrong batch out of the freezer! Having said that the fish didnt seem to mind lol! Mexican flavours on meat sounds a good combination to me.

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. When I do get to try Mexican spam I will post the results here.

Foxy

Reaction score
try a nice piece of the spicy pepperami lightly fryed in oil and tikka masala powder

alan

Reaction score
"try a nice piece of the spicy pepperami lightly fryed in oil and tikka masala powder" - sounds nice.

Foxy

Reaction score
Alan,

Its the nuts matey. Us carpy types like a bit of spicey sausage hehehe.

Have done really well with the old pepperami, love it on a 3" braided hooklink out the back of a small method feeder. I always use smallish slices rather than hair rigging a chunk

Ergo

Reaction score
4mm Expander Pellets work well. First mix up some Gelatine and disolve a couple of tablespoonsful of curry powder in it and mix with around ? pint of water. Add the pellets and leave them to soak up the liquid. They can be frozen and taken out before use. If you have a pellet pump, it really speeds up the process. Another variation is to disolve ? a strawberry jelly in ? pint of water and repeat the process. Curry powder and turmeric sprinkled over white maggots, left overnight, nicely colours and flavours the maggots. You can also do this with dead maggots, (not turned) for fishing on silty bottoms.

Francophil

Reaction score
Even in the near freezing temperatures recently, I have had a number of carp around the 15lb mark on waggler tackle using luncheon meat that has previously been thickly dusted with tandoori powder then frozen ready for use at a later date.

On a recent outing, some tame ducks and small geese helped themselves to pieces of this spicy luncheon meat from its container near my feet!

N

NottmDon

Got to admit Foxy I couldn't fish with your recipe above I'd eat it messen lol! I have tried the pepperami before in chunks and not had a lot of what you might call good results, next time I'll slice it as per your advice and see how I go. Mind you its liable to be one slice for the fish one for the angler!

Foxy

Reaction score
LOL Nottm, get it down your neck brother! i have fished pepperami for a long time now, i have never had a pick up when its fished as a lump. Cut a slice off (or a few slices if you want to fry it in curry powder) then hair rig it "longways" so you have a small disk on the hair. Works really well behind a little method feeder with loads of attraction and not much food. Was up your neck of the woods on Monday on the Trent (my local pond froze :( ) had four chub to about 4 lb on the pepperami. Rivers looking good for the time of the year, thought it would be in flood but it was fine.

Foxy

J

jason fisher

i've never managed to use more than one piece of peperami in a session, I put the first bit on the hook but no matter how quickly i get a bite on it, the rest has some how mysteriously disappeared and my mouth feels hot.

Foxy

Reaction score
Jason / Nott.

Dont know how you can eat them lads. Best place for them is down with the fishes :))

alan

Reaction score
"Dont know how you can eat them lads"

you unwrap and inhale the meaty aroma.
you take a bit and start to chew, releasing the meaty taste.
Drawling thinking about eating one.

Jamie Varcoe 3

Reaction score
hi rob i find that if u get sum cheap local co-op currypowder or cannyenne pepper and fry the meat off REMOVE all fat. also do not fry to long or your meat will fall to peaces like mine did on my first attempt hope that helps you out JRV

Peter Webb 4

Reaction score
Spicy pepperami (red) is what I use all the time.Have been fishing with it for 10 years.Every single carp I have caught in that time has been on spicy pepperami.That includes many mid to upper twenties and a personal best 41.25lb.