Coarse rivers in Devon

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
I would love to have a go at fishing for coarse fish on a river, but I dont know of any near me. I think the nearest barbel would be in Somerset.

Does anyone know of any coarse fishing rivers in or around North Devon?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have fished in North Devon on a few occasions.

After trout and seatrout with the fly. Don't know of any coarse rivers of any note, but I wouldn't let this put me off.

Go trout fishing. There is lots of it.

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but I dont think trout fishing is for me, even though as you say there are plently of places here to fish.

F

Frothey

there are coarse fish in the rivers, its more that people dont fish for them. there used to be bream and roach above barnstaple, and bude canal has coarse fish in them. some pioneering to be done maybe....

C

Chris Bishop

Used to be a few good waters down there.

The Exe through Exeter City Centre and the basin used to be good this time of year. mainly bream and roach, also a few pike about.

Trew's Weir (think it's called this...) in front of the pub downstream from the quay used to be popular.

Upstream of Exeter you can fish some of the river towards where it joins the Culm. Think it's Exeter DAA water.

The Exeter Canal used to be good, pike, bream and carp.

Tiverton Canal used to be a good tench fishing.

Haven't lived or fished down there for a while, hence all the used to's.

My favourite fishing down there was the Teign for the bass in summer when I was last down there.

Exeter Angling Centre (Smythen St...?) is probably a good place to ask. There also used to be a tackle shop near the river in Tiverton.