Reservoir dogs...........

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Often windswept concrete bowls with levels that fluctuate , or deep holes with some boarding around the perimeters, we are surrounded by them.
The ones that offer day ticket fishing are sometimes daunting , especially in bad weather, but...............

There are usually huge bream shoals and other big specimens such as roach and perch that go unfished for in many of these waters. Some can be caught on a float close in..............

caught owt in your local ressie?

quickcedo

Reaction score
My local "Farmoor" has had huge Bream found dead but to the best of my knowledge it's a fly only fishery. What a shame!!!

Day Breamer

Reaction score
I fish a large reservoir, its so vast and so deep in places that almost anything could be down there... but ive not personally seen any Bream approaching 10lb myself.

I do know it houses some big Pike upto 30lb.

captain carrott

Reaction score
the most likely thing you'd catch in my local ressies is frostbite.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My local "Farmoor" has had huge Bream found dead but to the best of my knowledge it's a fly only fishery. What a shame!!!

It is fly only...and fantastic trout fishing it is too.

The bream in there are colossal. I cant remember the exact weight but there is a photo in the "lodge" of the big one found dead and its well over 20lb...maybe even 22lb and there are reputably even bigger ones in there.The bailiffs say there is a shoal of around 18-20 fish all of that size or bigger which sometimes roll of an evening.

I fish there a lot but I've never seen them though there is no doubt at all that they are there and that they are that big.Occasionally one comes out on a fly....I've never had one but I was there one day when the guy 20 yards up the bank had one of 12lb plus on a fly. He was cacking himself cos he thought it was one of Farmoor's big browns which go to 17-18lb.

Skippy

captain carrott

Reaction score
It is fly only...and fantastic trout fishing it is too.

The bream in there are colossal. I cant remember the exact weight but there is a photo in the "lodge" of the big one found dead and its well over 20lb...maybe even 22lb and there are reputably even bigger ones in there.The bailiffs say there is a shoal of around 18-20 fish all of that size or bigger which sometimes roll of an evening.

I fish there a lot but I've never seen them though there is no doubt at all that they are there and that they are that big.Occasionally one comes out on a fly....I've never had one but I was there one day when the guy 20 yards up the bank had one of 12lb plus on a fly. He was cacking himself cos he thought it was one of Farmoor's big browns which go to 17-18lb.

Skippy

cue ron and his reminiscence of peter stone.

come on ron tell the story.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
maybe I should give you a few examples of day ticket ressies within driving distance from my area.
Tring, Walthamstow, Clattercote, Drayton, Ruislip lido, Ardingly, even Chew isn't too far away.
Every big city or town has ressies , apparently not that many do day ticket .........

dezza

Reaction score
I've fished a fair bit on two of England's concrete bowls - Farmoor in Oxfordshire and Toft Newton in Lincolnshire. Both are capable of growing on the most wonderful trout, both brown and rainbow to large sizes.

Peter Stone of Wolvercote near Oxford was a very keen fly fisherman and a regular visitor to Farmoor which was only a few miles from his home. I think he discovered the huge bream of Farmoor by accident.

One of the tactics that produces lots of trout in concrete bowls is fishing midge pupa imitations or "buzzers", using a long leader and a strike indicator or "bung" as it is often called today. Using this method Peter Stone told me how he caught his biggest ever bream on small black buzzer. It weighed well into double figures - something around 15 lbs if I remember right and was stuffed by Peter as coarse fish were generally requested to be killed on most trout reservoirs.

So if you want to catch a big bream, might I suggest that you learn how to fly fish. You might amaze us all.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
If i learnt how to fly fish and went to Farmoor i would probably catch nothing but monster Trout all day long knowing my luck.

captain carrott

Reaction score
who was it that had the huge farmoor bream that peter had a spot of bother with at the net ron?

dezza

Reaction score

He never mentioned that to me Jason.

Old Stoney was a complete gentlemen; other than one particular character who lived closed to him and fished the Thames a lot, he never spread gossip regarding the reputations of other anglers. I think it must have been Walker who told him never to do this.

They were very close.

captain carrott

Reaction score
He never mentioned that to me Jason.

Old Stoney was a complete gentlemen; other than one particular character who lived closed to him and fished the Thames a lot, he never spread gossip regarding the reputations of other anglers. I think it must have been Walker who told him never to do this.

They were very close.

he did ron you have recounted the story once before on here about 6 or 7 years back, but i don't remember the exact details.

one of his fishing associates had hooked the largest one either of them had ever seen but they lost it at the net.
it was this tale which started me off investigating fly fishing for bream before i left oxfordshire 6 years ago