whats a good choice of trotting float for a fast flowing stretch

barbel liam

Reaction score
Im thinking of trotting meat on my local peg on the trent, iv never tried this method before and the river runs quite fast. I need a good, quite bulky trotting float to use, any tips ..... ?

POLO

Reaction score
Trotting meat could be quite difficult when fishing for Barbel but it does depend on the size of bait you are willing to use as it could drag down you float every time it passes a small stone or rock. (The bigger the bait the bigger the float). I regulary free line large lumps of meat so Why not try free lining or with a couple of swan shot on a paternoster rig. The bait will find its natural way around the flow. Make sure you have control though by feathering the line off as though you was trotting a float.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For a fast flowing run of water I like to use a bolo float, the Steve Maher floats are brilliant. The maver and the woodys bolo floats are great also. They all have long brightly painted tips so are easy to see in the riffles and some of the larger models will take quite a bit of weight.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Speci wagglers are very good too, just gives you another option.

Jon

Paul Morley

Reaction score
There's a really good article by Mick Woods somewhere re trotting techniques, the 'trundling' and holding back under a big avon, overshotted. Some of this dictates what float to use, really you're just trundling meat with a float as indicator. As everyone said, a loafer is great, for deeper water if you want to hold back or stret peg, something longer like a swanquill is good. I take it your Trent bit is quite deep too? Mick states his float approach significantly outfished his legering..

Ian Morgan

Reaction score
I have found loafer/chubber type floats fine if you are fishing a river/swim where the surface is fairly smooth (even if flow is fast).

On some of the Scottish Rivers I fish for grayling, even the steadier swims often have quite significant riffles/boils in places, enough to submerge a loafer, giving false bites.

In this situation I have found Bolo floats (large body, long sight tip) much better for distinguishing true bites.

[Above may be totally irrelevant for the Trent?]

Ian

slime monster

Reaction score
If the water is shallow ish another alternative is a dumpy waggler , we used to make our own from balsa wood the float is only 50mm long shaped like the bottom of a spring onion 20mm at the bulb and 8mm at the dome top .a swivel is glued in the base to take the locking shot , a couple of no 8s down the line fished with 10mm showing it is a very good far bank float when allowed to go at the speed of the current and is also good in weedy swims with no shot down the line ,the given bouyancy is ideal for meat fishing.

slime monster

Reaction score
Pellet waggler?? if you are referring to my post the dumpy bears no resemblence to those things and it will catch fish in a foot of fast water fished over depth..I am talking from experience here not guesswork.

Paul C

Reaction score
Pellet waggler?? if you are referring to my post the dumpy bears no resemblence to those things and it will catch fish in a foot of fast water fished over depth..I am talking from experience here not guesswork.

Seems a bit harsh... I don't think his post was referring to yours?

Plenty of people are using pellet wagglers in shallow fast swims and very well, so not sure why it prompted that reaction?

Paul C

Reaction score
I just read it as another suggestion, albeit a bit late. But then it's his second post so finding his way around....... hope we've not scared him off. :D