Buyers' Guide to River Rucksacks

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Sound advice from Graham, as one would expect.

At the risk of incurring mocking laughter I have to say, though, that I've become converted to one of those rigid plastic boxes that matchmen use. I've never thought I'd own one, let alone use on, but there you are...

I use the smallest of the Shakespeare boxes (Beta, I think it's called). Its primary virtue is that it is completely waterproof - it can even be put down in thick, marshy mud or shallow water. And no matter how dirty it gets, it can be rinsed afterwards. It doubles up as a seat, too.

Its only disadvantage is that it is uncomfortable to carry any distance.

So there you have it: a black Beta box. If you can withstand the mocking laughter from Man-At-Nash/Fox etc. "spessi" types, a plastic box is more practical for mobile travel-light fishing than you might imagine.

D

Deecy

Ooooh but the cruel laughter, I was at the Davies Angling sale today, I assume some of the people were fugitives bearing in mind they were camouflaged from head to foot.One even had a camo wooly hat on indoors,but as I suspect his surname is Peat I am not suprised.

T

Tony Urwin

To make the box easier to carry you could always use one of those Breakaway box conversions the Sea Anglers use, it gives it a frame rather like a rucksack.
I like to use a decent holdall rater than a rucksack they tend to be more tackle box friendly.

R

Ross Turner

Im looking for a holdall/rucksack for my day session carp fishing,It has to be big enough to carry a large fox box,Bivvy table,flask,food & bait & anything else i may need.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I agree fully with Jim here.

Since aquiring a Fox Matchman box I find myself using this more and more. It keeps my tackle a heck of a lot neater and provides a nice adjustable comfortable seat for short sessions. And its fully waterproof.

And I shall certainly be using this on the banks of the Trent this year, combined with the trolley I purchased with the box.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I've also aquired a Ruck Box which actually is ideal for a lot of my stillwater fly fishing.

When I fish small stillwaters these days I tend to do a lot if it from a seated position.

It's surprising how close you can catch trout if you sit down and cast.

W

Woody (Cheeky Monkey)

I'm sure I have seen somewhere that JRC have brought out a carryall on a frame with a seat on top. Damned if I can find anyone advertising it yet so it must be very new. It sounded to me a bit like the old Efgeeco Rover seat, which was a great idea.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I considered framed rucksacks (i.e. rucksacks that double-up as a seat), but opted for the Shakespeare box because the situation in which I required it was tidal water trotting, moving from swim to swim. The banks are muddy and often very soft, and sometimes waterlogged - especially from low-water up to mid-flood - and I wanted complete water-protection for the box's contents (notably my camera). The seating facility was not so much for convenience and comfort, but as Ron said, to lower my profile or my silhouette against the skyline.

Seriously, a box may look naff and won't attract any bankside "cred", but it is a more useful accessory than you might imagine.

S

sash

Shakespeare now produce a padded back support / rucksack-style carrying strap attachment for the Bata type boxes. It's called Sherpa and available from Veals (sea fishing mail order company in Bristol) at around the ?17 mark. There are also more expensive attachments available for approx ?30 which require pre-drilling unlike the Sherpa.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Thank you for that, Sash. I accessed Veals website and found the Sherpa. It looks ideal for my purposes. I've ordered one and hopefully it will make my long riverside walks a tad less uncomfortable.

S

sash

No problem. It is amazing what can be found on sea fishing websites at times and usually at half the cost than if sold under a coarse fishing banner.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

"Bankside Cred?"

The only bankside cred I consider is when you pull out a good fish.

Mind you it perhaps would be a good idea if manufacturers looked carefully at the concept of a "Specci Box"

Could even finish it in Real Tree.

:eek:)

Tony Miles has used a Ruck Box for stalking chub for years.

mark knowles

Reaction score
Just discovered "real tree" duck tape. Covered the cool box the deadbaits go in and it really was a lot less obtrusive.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

You'll end up losing it in the long grass Mark ........

D

Deecy

I would love to see a modern version of the Efgeeco Packaseat.The seat/rucksacks currently available are set too high .

M

mark norris 2

I still use my old Efgeeco pacaseat,and have bolted on a pair of Octoplus adjustable front legs.It is great for mobile fishing as long as the walk is less than about three miles,after which it does tend to chaff a little,not being a proper framed rucksac

mark knowles

Reaction score
I remember my pacaseat being so low it was very hard to get out of whilst playing a fish.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Veering off the subject somewhat, but don't you just love those Meccano-style seat-box/platform constructions used by matchmen? I had one set up next to me recently and to judge from the metallic clanging and crashing emanating from his swim you'd have sworn a bunch of scaffolders were having their annual convention!

Naff is not the word - but it'll do to be getting on with!