float restoring

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
heres one for all you float makers/restorers....whats the best method for stripping old,thick stubborn paint and varnish from porcupine/goose and crow quill.so i can re paint and varnish etc....
would paint stripper damage the quills???

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
on some of the floats i`ve got,i`ve managed to pick away at the stuff with me finger nails and i`ve used a pen knife as well but i cant help thinking there is a much better/simpler way of doing it,without damaging the quills themselves...

D

david bruce 1

Solvent based stripper should be OK (if it hasn't all been banned) but avoid the sodium hydroxide (Caustic Soda)type as they will attack the quills

Joskin

Reaction score
Why dont you buy some new quills they cost ?5-6 for 25.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Quills should keep their flexibility, while varnish dries out and becomes more rigid and flaky, so bending,`rolling and twisting the quills should loosen it. A blunt knife held vertical to the quill makes a reasonable scraper, but the best sort, like a cabinet-maker's scraper, has a "sharp" right angle - the back of a scalpel blade is ideal.
Half the charm of old floats is the colour of the old varnish, so if it doesn't come off easily, you might consider just giving them a couple of coats of thinned-down (so it penetrates) varnish over the old stuff!