Freedom of Information Act

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I've just had a thought regarding DEFRA and the RSPB. Under the Freedom of Information Act I believe we (as individuals, clubs or any legitimate angling body) has the right to see all written communication between DEFRA and the RSPB regarding applications to shoot cormorants. Might be interesting....

mark knowles

Reaction score
Am I getting fish refuges mixed up with the things they put on rivers prone to flooding, cause these just seem to put all the fish in one spot for when the cormorants arrive.
I do like the idea of having a good nose using the freedom of information act. Isn't there a conection between the RSPB and the EA that might be worth exploring a bit too!

G

Ged

Why don't the RSPB put as much gusto into replacing the feeding grounds at sea for the cormorants as they do for putting down angling?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Barrie,
The Freudian Slip to which you refer is becoming more and more used throughout the journalistic world in all types of media.
If you take a look at the web sites of the Animal Rights Brigades you will see it used extensively, yet nonetheless incorrectly.

I too was amazed to hear the views on our countryside being extolled by various Asians, Orientals and Africans on a radio 4 programme a few weeks ago.
Two middle aged Oriental ladies were taken into the National Park and actually stated that they felt unsafe and totally out of their environment.
There is clearly a lot of education necessary to avoid the sort of situations to which your so rightly refer.

Unbelievable!

W

Wolfman Woody

From Barrie's piece I pick up on the "ethnic minorities" and their lack of knowledge of the countryside.

I've been involved with the local woodlands protections group for the past 18 or 19 years now and in all that time the only different coloured face I have seen is a chap who is 2nd generation Caribbean, I think. Yet many asian families live on the dges of these woodlands and you never see them walking through. None of them to my knowledge own dogs (whether against their religions or what?) and so perhaps they feel no need to.

Still there is a case that we are living in an Area of Ouststanding Natural Beauty and none of them seem to appreciate that. We have tried by targetting leaflets at them to become involved, if only to join us on the litterblitzes we have. Nothing!

Can I also pull Barrie up on that grammitcal error? He's right, it shouldn't be "?numerous birds who have been dumped?" neither should it be "?numerous birds which have been dumped?", it should read "?numerous birds THAT have been dumped?" as there is no comma following "birds".

Mind you, we should count ourselves lucky because if that had appeared in "The Grauniad" it would have referred to "peasants" and not pheasants.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry, typing problem - s/b "grammatical error" - before someone pulls me up.

S

swordsy

Simple fact with the asians I speak to and therefore should be a good guide to the majority of asians is that asked why they do not fish or walk in the country more is they are at work and when they are not at work they are at home with there families and feel no need to "relax in the way we whites do"

Different culture different values

D

Deecy

Jim yes you can see these communications.Basically anything held by public bodies which is 'information'in written or recorded form is in play.There are certain restrictions such as Public Safety , interest of the Nation etc but I cannot think that Cormorants would be included.
Simply ask ANY person employed by the public body for an answer.This can be in writing or verbally by letter, electronic mail or telephone call.There may be a charge.
They have a set time by which they must answer(itro 14 days) not simply acknowledge receipt.
As well as asking questions about matters of concern you can ask questions that will asist your fishing.I will allow imagination to run free here.