chick peas

• Thread starter Jennifer Turnbull
  • Start date
J

Jennifer Turnbull

Has anyone had any luck using chick peas? Can anyone tell me how to prepare them?
I'll be grateful for any tips
jen

G

Gavin Horton

I have had moderate success on chick pea, sometimes flavoured with almond sometimes red.
But my advice would be to use tiger nuts the ready prepared ones are excellent and are a fantastic instant bait

I

Iain Wishart

Easy.....500g packet of chickpeas from Morrisons.....kettle of boiling water....5ml of Nash Big Strawberry Flavour and some red colouring..add a dash of sweetner....mix it all together and leave it overnight in sealed container. Then fish with them or use Nashy Strawberry squid boilie as hook bait. Works for me!!!

C

Carp Angler

The chick peas straight from the can are absolute stunners.

20p, no messing, no fuss.

M

mike smith

Speaking of straight from the tin......

Someone told me the other day that he had had a storming day with tench on baked beans.

Was that a wind up ?

How the hell do you hook them?

B

Ben Hibbert

tigers r my 1st choice but sometimes flavoured chicks can be top class

D

Dave Rothery

Ive always done better with boilie or maple stacks over chick pea than with chick pea hookbaits.

S

Stewart Bloor

Hi Gavin, a pleasant surprise to see your posting...I fished with tiger nuts on 'our' water last night....

S

Stuart Bullard

Jennifer - as Carp says, chick peas are stunners. The entire contingent of bivvy boys (and girls) blanked last week end, except me and a mate who turned up at 3am Sunday morning and both caught fish. I went around the lake later and every single angler was using boilies. We used tinned chick peas soaked in maple flavouring and cockles, also maple soaked. Got both carp and tench.

S

Stewart Bloor

Gav, nothing on the tigers at all. But i'm going to stick with them because I think they'll work.

Hey Gav, why don't you post your picture up...but take out the safety pins and studs first...Yes, everyone, Gav is a PUNK...and I don't mean as in Clint Eastwood...I mean as in Johnny Rotten...

S

Stewart Branfield

Sorry if this is a basic question, but do you place the chick peas directly on the hook or on a hair? What is the best hook size?

S

Stuart Bullard

Stewart, hair with a strong 8 -10. When placing on the hair rig go across the split. In other words, the c/p will split into two , so imagine threading the two halves thru their middle. I normally put 2-3 on. Never tried straight onto the hook as I really would not be confident of them staying on.

J

Jennifer Turnbull

Thanks for the info guys. I have been wanting to try tiger's , however I can't seem to find them anywhere. Any suggestions?

C

Carp Angler

Dynamite baits, Frenzied Tigers in a can.

Alternatively, most pet shops can get them or as a last resort, try Swindlers of Hindon.

S

Stewart Bloor

Jennifer, the tigers in the can are good. Not only do they come ready to use, but they are soaked in a lovely glug, that will enhance the attraction of the nut.

G

Gavin Horton

I will post my picture for everyone to see when one of us has a twenty out of the island pool ok Stewart?
I wouldnt want to frighten every one without prior warning.

S

Steve Bolister

when you use chick peas soak them in flav/water/or Con milk then boil for twenty mins
leave to dry on paper for two days or until they sprout then pour back the mix that you cooked them in and leave for another day . try brown dye
and also ad some bit's of cork to pop them up.....
You could also give maple pea's a go but leave these in there own cooking juice

J

Jennifer Turnbull

stewart, where will i get hold of canned tiger's?
I havent seen them anywhere.