Shimano reel

big gus

Reaction score
Fellas, got an aero3000 nr...was bought brand new (allegedly) from ebay for some light pleasure fishing...major problem is that the bail arm refuses to flick over when reeling after casting so I have to push it with my finger.

Any ideas what the problem is?

There is a button on top of the spool that can be pushed in - not sure what it does but it is locked, so may have something to do with it?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Foxy

Reaction score
Gus,

Trying adjusting the height of your bail arm. There should be two screws on the arm that the bail are goes into. Slaken them off and pull the bail arm up a bit, then tighten them again. I have to admit, even though i dont get this proble, i dont like to wind in with the bail arm open, i just dont like that "clunk" when you wind in, i always push it over with my finger. im convinced it shortens the reels lifespan otherwise, and all that clunking will knacker up your bearings and gears inside. Keep that in mind!

The button on top of the spool is for you to take the spool on and off. You push the button in, which will push the spool up, then push your new spool on until it "clicks" and away you go.

To be honest, sounds like you have got a dodgy reel matey, i wouldnt buy things like reels from e-bay, you are better of looking at the noticeboard on your lake or even in the paper and go and see it before you part with your hard earned.

Hope this helps

Foxy.

big gus

Reaction score
Thanks Foxy, that has brightened my day right up!

Cheers for the info though, much appreciated.

Foxy

Reaction score
more than welcome Gus. Have a go at the above, DONT TIGHTEN THE SCREWS BACK UP TO HARD!!! you will strip the thread and then you WILL have some fun ;)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Be careful. This reel could be a counterfeit.

The problems big Gus mentions are such that I suspect it could NOT be a Shimano reel, but something cheap and nasty that looks like Shimano. It even comes with a Shimano box and instruction leaflet.

Be very careful when you buy from orgaisations like Ebay.

Counterfeit products are becomeing more and more common by the day and are generally made in China.

It started out with Rolex watches if you remember.

Always buy your products from a reputable fully registered dealer.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

By the way be very very careful of companies that call themselves XXXXX DIRECT or YYYYY DIRECT or "The cheapest on the web."

Top quality reputable companies do not need to call themselves such drossy names.

W

Wolfman Woody

You cheeky so-and-sos. I have sold a couple of Shiamnos, 2 Daiwas and 2 Abus on eBay and they were tip-top reels in 100% working order. Ignore these buffons Gus, there are some good deals on eBay.

However, any product can develop a fault. The one you have bought, does it have a silver coloured body with light reflective tape around the spool?

Who was the seller or better still send me the item number if it's within 3 months.

There's many dealers who are genuine, they just get some good UK deals and some buy in from the USA. There's not many counterfeits, I can assure you, but that doesn't mean there are none.

I bought a Daiwa Capricorn ( click here ) and that had a bit of a problem, but often it's just a matter of tightening soem screws.

Fill me in on the reel and I'll see if I can put you in the right direction.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Quote from Jeff's very good write up:
". . . . . . I do have a very soft spot for front drag reels "

So do I Jeff, its a quiet little bog in the west of Ireland :)

big gus

Reaction score
Woody, the seller was the codfather. He's on ebay now with dozens of items.

Just type in Shimano 8000gte b x 3 and he'll come up (he seels these all the time)

Mine was an aero 3000 nr. Bought about 4 months ago.

Its black, not silver, with a spare spool. The spools are only about 5mm in depth.

W

Wolfman Woody

That's Kathryn's Shop. It's generally rated as a good dealer, main complaint about her in the past has been the high postage costs. She claims it has to cover going to the PO, time taken doing the paperwork as well as high cost of postage.

Otherwise she is a good trader and sells top quality tackle. If you have a problem tell her, send it back perhaps. She will give you a refund I'm sure.

Before you buy off eBay, check the sellers feedbacks. Kathryn has 1 negative and 5 neutrals out of 664, which is pretty good as you will always get one or two customers who are dissatisfied. I can't remember buying anything off her, but I have bidded against some of her gear before now.

Still trying to work out your model. The problem you have sounds a bit like the problem I had. The trip isn't working effectively. To check you would need to remove a cover and if you're not keen then have a word with the seller.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It's true Jeff that there are not many counterfeits.

But in my business there is a least one. Can't pin the b....ds down.

The filter cartridge they sell looka exactly like the one I represent, the name, the label. the packaging - everything. They sell it world wide for 1/3 our price.

Yet that's where it stops.

Put the thing on test and it doesn't work!

But it can take time before a customer finds out that the filter doesn't work, but by that time he has spent his money and the dodgy distributor who has sold him the counterfeit has moved on.

Meanwhile our product gets a bad name.

Counterfeiting brand names is a major crime and those doing it face large prison sentences, especially in the USA. Can't do much about China though where most of this eminates.

Foxy

Reaction score
I do a lot of work in China, and was over there again last month. In my industry piracy is a major problem, especially safety wise (i work in the braking industry, well until tomorrow any way ;-)) As Ron says, it all started with the Rolexs` i just bought ten out there for $1 genuinley!

There are more and more counterfeit goods coming our way, they simply cannot police this problem due to the scale of it. And sometimes the local "officials" arent really to bothered by it either.

Just as an aside, i have heard that all Shimano reels are now made in China. Not sure if this is true or not but it wouldnt suprise me. There are alot of larger companies exploiting the low cost labour conditions in the Far East, and the worrying thing is its the consumer constantly striving for lower prices that is pushing industry this way (as well as the organisations wanting to make more profit!

RANT RANT RANT!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

My latest Shimano reel was made in Malaysia. Nothing wrong with it of course. but it is a genuine Shimano made in a Shimano factory.

I would however strongly suggest that anyone should beware of very cheap top branded goods suddenly coming on the market. Counterfeit goods have no QA behind them.

All my carbon filter cartridges meet the requirements of the FDA and the performance is independantly tested by the National Sanitization Federation. Often, such filters are used in critical application like renal dialysis. If they don't work, it is people like me who have to answer for it.

That's why counterfeiting is such a terrible crime.

W

Wolfman Woody

Rolex's are easy to tell from fakes. With a fake the second sweep passes over a complete segment of 1 second. On the real deal the sweep hand passes over just ? of a second segment or even less. Fakes are battery and crystal driven, real ones are clockwork.

I know a few companies have been the target of counterfeiters in the fishing world, but it's largely been on hooks, swivels and other stuff that you are buying constantly. The biggest complaints from manufacturers is plageurism (copying) of their products by other 'respected' manufacturers.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There is a lot of truth in what Jeff says. Fakes are most likely consumer items.

Filter cartridges are typical.

I often wonder if international patents are worth anything these days.

Foxy

Reaction score
international patents are ok, its just policing the patent. If you have a patenet on something that is hard to make, then you dont see many attempts to pirate it. If you have a patent on something that is easy to copy, you will be flooded with cheap imatations.

I could tell you some seriousley worrying storys about far eastern manufacturing of military hardware......very worrying indeed!