Hants Avon

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Going down to the Avon later this week hoping for a chub or two, maybe a roach. Will be fishing Thursday/ Friday and possibly Saturday morning.

What's the river like right now? High? Coloured? Low? Clear?

Is it fishing? Anything being caught?

I'm keen to fish with bread - float or lead. But will have casters and stuff as a back-up. What would you locals recommend. Whole of Christchurch AC waters to go at.

Happy to accept any advice you can give but need a reply before Tuesday evening.

B

Big Rik

Dont go.

It's low, clear and overnight frosts mean it's bloody hard work.

Stour would probably be slightly better as it's constantly coloured at the mo, due to some lake draining further up the county.

Go to Throop and catch a lump.... or blank like everybody else....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Rik that the Stour is probably your best bet Bob.
If you have Mark Wintle's number give him a call, or e-mail him directly for the best information on the Stour.

As to the Avon, the CAC Bargate stretch is a pretty good winter venue (Chub and Roach) but then so are the Ibsley beats.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Don't go isn't really an option really. Committed to making the trip and the season is all but finished.

Hard work isn't something that bothers me too much providing I know in advance that it'll be tough. Not expecting miracles anyway.

Temps improving slightly this week according to the forecast and there's a smattering of rain on the cards for wednesday. One pull is all it takes to turn a bad day into a good un, eh?

I take it you haven't had any snow down there to speak of?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Thanks Peter,

My guest ticket covers Ibsley (but not the Stour - least I don't think it does). I walked some of the Ibsley reaches last summer and it looked fabulous, quite unlike any of my local rivers.

My expectations are not great and I doubt it will prove tougher than the Trent right now. To be there will be enough and any fish will be a bonus.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob,

I am at work in Holland this week otherwise I'd have been pleased to give you the "guided tour"

You might also consider the LAA stretch at Britford on a ?6.00 day ticket. The bailiff, Stuart will alsways put you on a decent swim if he can.
The Avon splits here into the old course and the new course. The new course is a good low water venue for Grayling and the ocassional Chub as well.
Long trotting with bread, maggot or caster works well and you will be surprised what you can catch from very low water.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Thanks Peter, maybe next time.

I did some coaching at the Somerley open day back in the summer and was invited back for a few days fishing by the Christchurch AC whenever I fancied it so it would be churlish of me to go down there and then not fish their waters.

So, it's CAC or nothing this time. From what I saw of their stretches around Ibsley the river was fantastic. So much character. I can't begin to imagine what the fishing must have been like back in the 60's and 70's.

Just to run a stick through will be rewarding enough but to catch a fish as well? That sounds like heaven to me.

B

Big Rik

if you're determined, then up around Ibsley will be your best bet, but expect it to be hard.

Flavoured maggot is probably your best bet, starting on the stick and then switching to the feeder when you can't move your fingers anymore.

It was -6C locally last night.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Excellent. I was worried that you would be suffering the cold snap we've been having. At minus 6 I can probably leave the gloves at home!

Weather forecast for the coming week down your way points to temperatures rising slightly and maybe a few showers on Wednesday. Surely that can only be good.

One good pull will do! I'm not hoping for miracles, just a half chance.