Tackling a new water

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Having lived just 15 minutes walk from Rother Valley for the past 3 years I never seriously fished it , and I think it's time a gave it a real go.

The lake I want to fish is at the top end of the park set aside for fishing and model boating and not the one that is just for fishing. The lake is very rarely fished and most of the fish will have never seen an anglers bait or hook ever.

What is the best time of year to start out - next Spring?

I'm guessing that the best approach might be to use maggots at first in a feeder and then over time introduce pellets and boilies, anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks

captain carrott

Reaction score
best time to start today.

plumb the whole thing before you bother fishing it.

once you've found the contours you can think about how to go about fishing it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd target it now, nows the suposed to be the best time for bream if there is any resident in the place. Regarding baits, I would go for maggots & casters, worms, bread, sweetcorn and hemp etc.
You've not said what the main species are.

captain carrott

Reaction score
Your Lordship

Will you be plumbing the whole of Damflask before you fish it?

there's a bit of difference between the flask and where he's talking about fishing though isn't there.

firstly rother's on his doorstep, the flask aint.
secondly this lake is consierably smaller than the flask if memory serves.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm not sure what in the lake - roach and bream I'd guess but could be anything

I'll be having a lead about with a rod and a weight on some braid - I think the bottom is mostly gravel and silt

Matt

I have my man plumbing Dam Flask as we speak

flightliner

Reaction score
Mi lud - (sir)- Before you fish ,plumb it- as its possibly the deepest water I have ever fished. The corner to the right as you approach it from the working mens club is the only shallow bit that I know of. I will leave the delights of the place for you to enjoy, but not without saying that if you can crack it you will have fish to die for. Fail however and you can still come away with the best collection of bird feathers that you can use to make all the floats you will ever require.
Ever your humble servant,
Flightliner

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Mi lud - (sir)- Before you fish ,plumb it- as its possibly the deepest water I have ever fished. The corner to the right as you approach it from the working mens club is the only shallow bit that I know of. I will leave the delights of the place for you to enjoy, but not without saying that if you can crack it you will have fish to die for. Fail however and you can still come away with the best collection of bird feathers that you can use to make all the floats you will ever require.
Ever your humble servant,
Flightliner

The lake you mention is the one near the working mens club - I've seen what's come out of there, but the lake I was thinkign of fishing is right at the other end of the park there are 3 lakes one has water sking, the biggest middle one for boats and the top one nearest Beighton s the one I'm looking to fish

Reaction score
I just had a look on google maps - there's a massive shoal of bream at the top end of the lake.

I also had a trip to your place and noticed those neighbours of yours still haven't moved the skip. You must be sick of it.

flightliner

Reaction score
Mi- lud,-Sorry about the mistake, I thought you meant the Netherthorpe club end water. The lake at the far end will give you plenty of rudd, other than that all I know is that the Rother at that point is worth trying--Last year by the way it turned up a salmon !!Maybe your skip residents would like a change of diet from all the Trent pike and Barbel????