float fishing hook link length

sagalout

Reaction score
How long do you have your hook link when float fishing and why?

I currently use a 6 inch hook link for float fishing but I don't know why I do that. Is there a good reason for the hook link length?

captain carrott

Reaction score
my usual hookength is about 18 inches, just because that's what i've always used.

Lark

Reaction score
I think it's one of those very personal things. I've always had the best results with the way I fish on stick and wag with a 10 to 12 inch hooklink with no shot on the link.
There's never a great difference between the thickness of my mainline and hooklink so I can move my lowest shot to increase the length between it and the hook to whatever I find most effective for the conditions.

Keith M

Reaction score
I like to use a long-ish hooklength which gives me a little more stretch compared to the mainline.
When I need some shot on my hooklength then I use no.8 or no.10's or small Styles gently squeezed on.
However if I need to put heavier lead shot on to take the hook down a little faster then I will shorten my hooklength a little so that I don't have to put the larger shot onto the hooklength and prevent damage.

If I am fishing a match I usually use pre-tied hooklengths which are all the same length (approx 18") so that if I loose a hook I can tie another on knowing that I dont have to waste time plumbing up each time I lose a hook.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I very seldom use a gut bottom, preferring to fish straight through on most occassions. If I do use one then I'd use whatever length would suite the sitiuation best. I never use pre tied as it's simple to just tie my own on the bank. I prefer to use a micro swivel to join the two lines but failing that a double uni knot or a water knot, I'm not a fan of loop to loops.

A

alan whittington

18 inches to two foot in water up to around 8 foot deep for deep water I use a longer hooklength on Rod and line .
Really SM,could you explain your reasoning,as i would be interested to know,i personally use totally varied lengths depending on my feelings and what im trying to achieve presentation wise(probably total bo*l*cks).

slime monster

Reaction score
It is something I have done since moving down here Alan where some of our waters are very deep and very clear , I do not fish low breaking strain lines these days but take advantage of the quality Low diameter hook line available ..it's my thinking that if fishing these waters on the drop at 12 foot in 20 foot of water a longer length 4-6 foot of .014 say to ...
.020 main line may help presentation ...purely a personal thing mate.
Fishing any lighter is asking for trouble with what lurks below

A

alan whittington

No SM,its a way you have found to make something work,i would never have dreamt of using a hooklink over 2ft in length,now i might.When i used to fish matches on the Lea,i used to use 18in plus hooklinks 2.6lb silstar matchteam and size 22 hooks on the stick in less than 2.5ft of water the reason being,anything heavier in hook or line caused the hook to catch bottom,where as with the lighter gear it was possible to get a decent run through on most pegs,the thing was by getting this presentation i found that i could get the odd barbel or four(mostly between 2-4lbs) out of most pegs and to be fair i rarely lost any,best of it was i was always a lucky sod for getting them,but when i pleasure fished i found anything heavier just didnt work.