SHOCKING

R

Rob Mortimer

I went for a bit of bream fishing on my local river on sunday and was really enjoying it ,that was until some so called angler came over and started talking to me .
I hadn't fished this stretch before so i tried to get some info on it and asked if i could expect anything else apart from the Bream , to which he replied "yes there's Tench and Carp aswell,but you shouldn't get too much Pike trouble because we just chuck them up the bank".
I couldn't believe my ears ,this was coming from a man twice my age and probably twice as experianced.
He then went on to say that he and his mates had also chucked zander out aswell.
Now i'm not a pike angler but this really did sicken me and if i saw anybody actually do this i would report them,would you?
There is a public footpath along the river so you can guess the rest ,antis
etc.
Is there a way we can educate these idiots through clubs etc,that there are better ways of controling pike?
I know this sort of thing has been going on for years but it's the first time someones told me this and by suffocating them is just disgusting.

what do you think ?

Rob

D

Dave Johnson

Its sad Rob and does happen.
Even so called fishery managers struggle to come to terms with the idea of leaving pike well alone-they look after their own numbers.
removing them, especially larger females usually results in a jack explosion.

R

Rob Brownfield

I am afraid this is all too common in my part of the world. It does my head in!

I am going to start leaving Salmon and Brown Trout up on the bank...after all...they eat fish too...see how the Game anglers like it!!..Grrrrrrr

D

Davy North

It really is one of my pet hates, and you are right to call these people "so called anglers".

The reason for pike culls boils down to ignorance and fear. Ignorance of the pikes place in an ecosystem, thinking they will damage fish stocks. Fear because they've got teeth (you can see). I doubt the same people would have the same attitude towards perch or chub.

It's disturbing to hear how many of my none angling friends talk about pike as if they are vermin, that need controling. Probably due to stupid media stories of pike attacking dogs and kids.

Educating people is the only way put this right, I got a lot of help from the local EA fisheries officer, who came and gave a talk to a club. If the message sunk in is another matter.

You would think that in this day and age people especially anglers would realise the only time you have a problem with pike is when we start trying to "control" them.

R

Rob Brownfield

When u look at some of the better known english "Game" rivers, you will see that any fish that was not brown and spottie was treated with hate. I have been told of chub and grayling being slaughtered on the Test. Apparently, the controlling syndicates had a days Chubbing...and every non trout caught was killed. I have seen pics of the Wye with arounf 25 dead pike laying on the grass...with a very happy looking keeper next to them.

What also gets to me is the EA stocking rivers like the Thames with Salmon. Mark my words...if they become established and a viable resourse....the Thames will become a very expensive river to fish, with limitied coarse access!!!! A majority of the guys fishing my local salmon rivers travel up from London....I am sure they would rather nip onto the Thames if the Salmon return!!

D

Davy North

The thing with the EA and salmon is they are a prestige fish. If they can say to the general public there are salmon in the Thames it makes them look good, not that I'm saying there not of course.

the changes to my river the Tees in recent years have been huge. Once a by word for running sewer (even if it didn't deserve it in thr most part), The last few matches on the lower river have been won with twenty odd pound of bream, with plenty of twenty and high teens backing wieghts. The pike have took off in the same area. The river still hold the much embattled chub record, and a few years ago had a new dace record turn down.

To me this is all great, but ask some one in the street, and they'd probably say what's a dace? But tell them that there's now a good salmon run and they'll be very impressed.

Salmon seem to be the way the world judges the well being of a river. Now if some of the people who fish for them are narrow minded, thats another matter.

S

Shane Morrison

We had a problem with people killing pike on our waters too, but as soon as the guys where found out they where given there marching orders from the club, life time ban!!!

People do not realise that pike control the balance of other species in rivers ponds and lakes.

N

Nicky Garbutt

a few years back they was a bounty on this pikes head because it kept eating the ducks. some one had got it for the bounty and took it to the concil for a tenner. this was an few years back because my dad told me about it. the pike was very big.

R

Rob Bates

yes rob idiots like this will eventualy finish off angling for good i found 5 good pike last year the smallest was about 8 pound all dead with their tails cut off

W

Wendy Perry

i don't know much about pikes but this is sooooooo sad a fish is a fish at the end of the day..... how can these people call themselves anglers

R

Rodney Wrestt

I don't think the killing of pike is down to ignorance as it's been well documented that the removal of the larger pike leads to a lot more small ones that the bigger one would have eaten. I think it comes down to the fact that some people just don't care and if they can get a pat on the back from their friends or the people who are supposedly "controlling" the water, that's all the encouragement they need.

R

Rob Brownfield

I also think fear is a factor in Pike deaths. They take one look at a gob full of teeth, and thats it..."thump" with a lump of wood on the head!

D

Davy North

What's this with cutting pikes tails off? A mate of mine found two tails by the Tees a few weeks ago. Please don't tell me these psyco's cut the tails off then throw the fish back alive!

J

John Spink

Mr Brownfield,Sir,
Touch my Ferox and you are mince!!! Not only that I will launch an attack on every Green slimey brute that comes over the gunwale of my boat!! LOL.....Seriously though Rob,I wish you would clarify your remarks a bit about "game anglers" in Scotland.....You give the impression that we all have a plan to annihilate every Pikey in Scotland and that is not true!! While the brutes don't belong here anyway,I personally don't mind them too much...Oh and killing fish for the sake of it is just the work of mindless W****** wherever you are.....Keep up the "Save the Pikey" work

C

Chris Bishop

Where are these pikes getting slung up the bank out of interest..?

N

Nicky Garbutt

no the sick people put them back and it makes me sick seening them try to swim away. they just wanna sod off and go fishing some were eles its the hot weather brings the fools out which do this. i bet you have seen them before cans of lager in the river shouting a screaming at each other. just makes me mad and sick i bet they wouldnt like it if i cut there legs off and tell them to run for their life. thats what its like.

N

Nicky Garbutt

ive seen it beening dun the dog fish while sea fishing ive never been sea fishing since and not going to start.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ahhh...Mr Spink, once more we cross ore lures and battle at dawn!

"Game Angler"...Somebody who seems to think that Salmon are the only fish that exist in rivers and that Rainbows are native to Scotland/UK..lol

As you say, there is a turn towards becomming more aware of the natural surrondings and an understanding of bio-diversity etc. Many Trout fisheries are openning there doors to pikers up here, Mentist, Katrine, Leven etc...which is good!

I think we have had the discussion about "game anglers" (i am talking of muddy puddle rainbow bashers) have little understanding of watercraft, fish welfare etc. (hides under the table awaiting the onslaught)

And I stilllll can't belive that you insist Pike aren't natural to Scotland..lol. I know the Victorians introduced pike to some waters as a change to catching daft salmon...but sure there are waters up here that have a natural stocking?

ps, i foul hooked a dead Brown Trout (Ferox?)on Sunday at "the water next to the dual carriage way, not far from where u are from"! that was 33 inches long!! It had a huge kype and looked solid! The tail was MASSIVE. Also witnessed several brownies being caught on worms. The Park ranger said the water was really clean now the sewage iis no longer being pumped in, and that its been producing Brownies up to double ffigures! Fancy a bash?

J

John Spink

Rob,
That is amazing....I think we must have a try next season...Can you launch your own boat on there?? We could have a joint Pikey and big trout day??....Also,if it gets frosty soon ....Fancy some grayling??
Spinky

D

Denis Goulding

Rob,
U seem to be giving all us fluff chucker's agro over the most artistic form of fishing there is LOL..JOHN GIVE HIM HELL..LOL..
Rob any true fly man will respect whatever he ctahes those who do not,do not have the knpwledge,the old way's are dying out fast....