Recipies for Chub and Barbel

Trutta Waddington

Reaction score
Dear Ribble Anglers

I have fished the Ribble for Barbel and Chub for many years and last year tried my hand at cooking my catch. The fish smelt earthy and didn't realy taste of much so I was wondering if any of you guys had any recipies for chub and barbel.

The last barbel I tried to cook was a cracking 12lber but I have since been told it was possible too big and old for eating and I should keep to fish under the 5lb mark.

As for chub i have cooked fish to nearly 6lb but again the tasted earthy.

Any advice would be welcomed

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yeah, about as subtle as a brick. Come on, you can do better than that, we've been taunted by professionals you know!

S

swordsy

Trutta, here is one for you to try and involves only ingredients from the river side.

Firstly search the riverside for a tall celery like plant which should have its roots in the water and these roots should be large and resemble fingers, hence the common name deadmans fingers.

take your twelve pound barbel and stuff it with the leaves and roots and bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours, serve with lemon and butter.

I absolutly guarantee you will never taste anything like it again.......ever ;O)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You can do it riverside now as well with this new Coleman Oven.

You'll need to cut a 12lb barbel in half though to make it fit.

S

swordsy

Well thats a cracking bit of kit and no mistaking!

Trutta I should have mentioned the fish goes well with a salad of foxglove flowers or a steming bowl buttered of rhubarb leaves, you could always go the whole hog and track down a tasty little hedgerow berry to make a crumble with, what you are looking for is a creeper with dark green foliage and deep purple berries, which are resemblant of tiny tomatoes which isnt suprising as it like the tomato is a member of the potato family....... please try these recipes they are to die for!

N

NottmDon

Not exactly Nigella more like two fat(bearded) ladies in dungarees and Doc Martins. Might I suggest next time you feel peckish that you take a nice filleting knife, cut out your liver (obviously youve eaten your brain already) and cook it with some fava beans followed by a nice bottle of cianti?

Wayne Duffin 3

Reaction score
It is no wonder the immagrants are eating the fish they catch if there are people who know the laws doing it themself. All i can say to this is put all fish you catch from the river back or we will never sort the problem out with the immagrants if they see other people taking fish for the pot they think they can do it.

S

swordsy

Just in case anyone wishes to try any of my recipes please do not as each one is lethal

LETHAL

so do not eat them

unless your a vegan

or a gangsta rapper

O.K!

P

Phil Hackett 2

Idiot!
Use the one brain cell you?ve got to find your way back to slim you crawled out of!

Has Mr Wright found his way back on to the forum?

N

NottmDon

Never doubted it for a moment Lee LOL! Why did you fess up have bookings gone done at your place? lmao!!!

Wayne I doubt the initial post is as serious as you suspect mate, a wind up merchant or an anti testing the water with both feet perhaps?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Chub and barbel?

You must be joking.

Zander, perch, tench and eels are the best eating coarse fish.

Carp come next.

J

jason fisher

nahh it's ron i reckon, because he can't get a bite for love nor money under his own name anymore.

leonid gregoryvich

Reaction score
niet niet niet!

this forum no good for barbel recipies, i try before.

thank you swordsy for tip on stuffing barbel. i make sure i give it to some my friends when they get here.