groundbait flavours

J

Jaffa

Hi, I normally use a brand groundbait mixed with bread crumb. Sensas Ton-up works well with most baits and the Bream love it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Trevor,

For Roach:

Anniseed - ground fennel seeds
Venkel - which is a peppery sort of flavour
Turmeric - one advantage is that it will also de-grease your maggots as well as flavouring them

For Bream:
Any one of the several types of Brasem - see van den Eynde range of additives
Also, you can try to sweeten your ground baits with molasess (spelling?)

Hope this helps.

J

jason fisher

trout pellet, ground fishmeal, molasses, sweetcorn.

Reaction score
thanks guys thats given me some food for thought. reason I asked is I am off to Ireland in May and wanted to kill two birds with the same stone so to speak.

J

jason fisher

ireland, then i'd use molasses, go to a horse feed supplier and buy one of their bottles for a couple of quid for 5 litres of the stuff.

M

matthew nightingale 2

Which ones are good for tench? I must admit to finding the array of Sensas and Van Den Eynde groundbaits completely confusing.

J

jason fisher

i haven't used a proprietry groundbait in years, i always make my own.

W

William Spencer

sensas do tanches for tench.vde beet used to be good for tench but i think that vde do not do it anymore.
my mix for tench is a bag of tanches,a bag of brown crumb,sweetcorn casters and hemp.you're spoilt for choice on hookbaits,sweetcorn,worms,mini boilies(strawberry)luncheon meat,maggots,casters.

Alf James

Reaction score
You could try Codlivine for tench. This is a cod liver oil additive for horse feeds and is available from feed merchats at around ?10 for a 2kg tub. Expensive, but very effective and you don't need to use much - about 10% of your groundbait mix needs to be Codlivine.

It is important to mix it the evening before you go fishing. Add it to a mix of breadcrumb and molasses and leave in a sealed container overnight in a warm place. You can also add some ground trout pellet if you wish. It will pong a bit the next day but the tenchj will tear up the bottom looking for the feed.