I wish i hadn't done that!!!!

P

Peter Morton

Chatting away the other day,it got round to which bit of tackle we wished we had never swopped/got rid of?
For me it was a green fiberglass Peter Wheat avonmaster,that i swopped for a Mitchell Match.I caught my first barbel on that rod,and now regret parting with it,although i still have the Mitchell which is still seeing regular use.
What about you lot,any regrets?

R

Rob Brownfield

buying a pair of custom built 3 pound test curve Armalites. I think I have used them maybe 6 times in as many years...Although I did take a 26lb Pike on one.

Leaving a Delkim alarm and 2 banksticks at Aldeby Hall fishery in Norfolk last year. Went back next day...and suprise suprise, they were gone :eek:(

C

Chris Bishop

Got a bit tight and glued the vanes on the top of some drift floats. Hooked a nice 20 on one which careered through a weedbed. As the trace cut the weed, it sall ended up caught round the vane of the float leaving me playing 20lbs of pike and 30lbs of weed. It eventually tired itself dragging all this about and when it wallowed on the surface the weed slipped down over it and it came up looking like Bob Marley.

Not big, not clever for the sake of 50p's worth of plastic.

D

David Will

I am to reels what Imelda Macus is to shoes.Cannot resist a heavily discounted reel.Most are poor some are worse.Worst of all the DAM FSIII freespool reels which had nasty case of premature bail arm closure.The local kids are never short of a reel though.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Accidents will happen I suppose, but my biggest regret was shutting my first 'proper' rod in the shed door and shattering the glass blank.

It was a Daiwa 12ft float rod, but with a screw tip to adapt it as a tip rod, that I had bought second hand in the mid-seventies. Being a kid I generally treated it with total disrespect of course but as I caught so many decent fish on it, I was gutted when I broke it.

B

Birds Nest

I reversed over my 1st float rod... Was a Daiwa Sensor 12 footer... Cheap but one of my faves.....

D

Dave Silvers

starting fishing;

trouble is I can't stop and it seems to be taking over my life.

By the way I suppose most people have come across the message put out by the 3rd world aid organisations.

'Give a man a fish and he has food for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he has food for the rest of his life'.

Well how about this adaptation, it just about sums it up.(It is American but message is clear).

'Give a man a fish and he has food for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he has to buy carbon rods, graphite reels, monofiliment lines, neoprene waders, tackle boxes, lures, spinners, baits, 20 pocket vests, fish finders, depth sounders, radar, boats, trailers, global positioning systems, coolers, and six packs'.

P

Paul Williams

When i was a kid i dropped a reel into a marlhole in 20ft of water....we also used to swim there and i tried many times to divedown to recover it with my ears bursting ( didn't know how to stop it!!) i even looked for it years later as they drained the marlhole to no avail.....well it was an intrepid black prince!!!!
Hey Coops....you a kid in the mid seventies....you must mean the 1870's ????

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
What century does that mean you grew up in then Grandad?

Intrepid black prince. My first fixed spool reel. They were so crap I think I would probably chuck one into 20 feet of water on purpose now.

M

Mike Fidler

Mind you, if you were a kid and were bought one of those crappy starter kits - you'd kill for a black prince.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Agreed Mike, even in this day and age. Why do manufacturers still make those useless outfits? Worse still, why do tackle dealers sell them? I can understand Argos and Woolies etc. but a proper tackle dealer? They should know better.

D

Dave Johnson

steady Coops-have you seen first prize on the caption giveaway........

P

Paul Williams

Coop's,
Don't chuck that "Black prince", i need one to go with my other two and my three matching tank aerial rods!!!! :eek:)

D

Dave Johnson

remember the 'Strike' 12 foot match rod by Shaky's
what a rod-even the canal bargers stopped and stared in awe at mine on the Trent and Mersey in Staffs

P

Paul Williams

Yeah but what did they think of your fishing gear?
Snigger :eek:)

D

Dave Johnson

not much Brummie, much like the girlies, more intrested in my rod.....

C

Carp Angler

I had a 12' Strike and a Daiwa 1050 coffee grinder.
Fantastic at the time.
Waggler fishing corn at range for carp and tench.

Oooooohhh memories....