A great all rounder

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

What a funny piece.

And sadly very true in respect of some carp anglers.

Although Jim Gibbinson made his name at carp fishing, he has alway been a very competant all round angler. Good fly fisherman too.

I remember an article of Jim's written in the 70s where he takes the p..s out of the ultra- cult scene that was developing in carp angling in those days. This was also hilarious.

C

C. Roger Bradbury

I've always been a bit "infra-dig" meself LOL!

I even remeber the "Bare Bones" and "Munchapole" rods

R

Robert Woods 1

Ron,
Jim was one of my heroes of my early fishing. I've still got his Ospray Chub booklet and Modern Specimin book. I see from pic in article he was into sun loungers and sitting by his rods. His favourite bait for carp was red worms...how do you hair rig them...???

D

Deecy

I have seen this photo before.Am I right in thinking JG was Eel fishing at the time ? Given up the fags?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have known Jim for many years and we still keep in contact.

Jim spent a few weeks with myself and friends in South Africa in 1979. We had a great time fishing for Yellowfish in the Vaal River, black bass in a couple of local dams and for rainbows at nearly 7000 feet above sea level.

Jim even managed to catch a sharptoothed catfish from Hartebeestpoortdam near Pretoria. Pictures taken by yours truly and in Jim's book - Modern Specimen Hunting.

Jim is one of those anglers, that if you ever go fishing with him, you end up in stitches laughing.

One of the best.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think he's hopeless. Never had a 50, doesn't chase named fish, usually only fishes short sessions, sometimes only fishes with one rod. Need I go on? I mean, what self respecting speci-hunter fishes like that?

Garry Procter

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments Ron. The piece was "inspired" (rather a grand word for such nonsense!) by reading about Jim using a plastic tackle box. I'm afraid my over-active imagination took over then. It's not meant to be a dig at carp anglers (I fish for carp myself), just a bit of fun with Jim. I too am a huge JG fan, and have enormous respect for him. We have corresponded (on and off) for ages, although we have never actually met. Oh, and he did see the article before Graham put it on the web site.

You are correct Deecy, In the photo Jim is eel fishing. It's taken from one of my favourite angling books - I got it when it was newly published for my fourteenth birthday - "Catch a Big Fish" edited by David Carl Forbes.

Garry Procter

Reaction score
Graham,

Quite right. And those hats he wears....

...literally mega-embarrassing. Still, if he's happy I guess at the end of the day that's what it's all about. Eh Jim?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Smiles in pictures??

Not a proper carp angler is he?

You have to look bored stiff and be seen gazing at the bloody carp's head for some weird reason.

Maybe The Monk can enlighten us all.

D

Deecy

Thanks Gary.
Graham and no camo anywhere,and those Carp books, not a wonder rig to winkle one out on a bad day anywhere, just standard hair rigs.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
And his brother invents better tackle and his son catches bigger barbel.

F

Frothey

and the line aligner will never catch on....hope he's on commision from shrink tube manufacturers!

F

Frothey

its that old seventies speci hunter thing of ignoring everyone that talks to you.....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I remember walking around Clumber Park lake in 1975.

There were all these stupid pratts cowering behind dear little camouflaged hides. One bloke had rod rests that were painted in green and brown camo.

The rods were all painted matt black.

I asked one of these turds how the fishing was going and he didn't even answer me.

Ultra Cult?

What a load of utter b....ks!!!

J

jason fisher

there's no carp in clumber!

there's not a lot of water either at the moment because they've partially drained it again because of subsidance.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There never were any carp in Clumber as far as I know. But there were some big roach and bream.

T

The Monk

we used to fish down at Llandrindod Wels in the 70s, heigth of the ultra cult days, the secret seventies, I can remember walking round the place once and all the bait tin lids were suddenly snapped closed. First met Des Taylor down there, Des told us everything we wanted to know about the place, cheers mate.

T

The Monk

Must admit I`ve been a big fan of Jim`s since his first book, The Carp (Richard Walker Library) was released circa 1968?, indeed Jim was one of my main influences towards my love of carp fishing. Must admit though in recent years I cant understand how Jim can write so much about carp and not have a oven in his bivvy???

(bet he hasnt got a dvd player either)