Loading line onto a spool...

Graham Braithwaite

Reaction score
Could anyone please tell me the best way of loading line on to my reel so that I get it just set at about 1mm above the edge of the spool? I understand that that's the best 'setting' to have it (and if it isn't could you advise me what is?) as it enables the line to fly off with the minimum amount of effort or fuss.

Also, I loaded some line on to my new reel last year and I didn't seem to get it packed up tightly enough. The line ended up like a very loose ball of wool and was coming off in all directions, but when I did it again and kept some real tension on it it ended up making a twirly 'corkscrew' or 'telephone line' shape and was virtually useless from then on.

I've just a couple of lovely new rods, and a smart new reel, so I'd be grateful if anyone could help me to sort it out correctly right from the start this time.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Graham,
Put your new line onto an empty spool first.
Then fill the spool up to the correct depth with backing line.

Get a spare spool, and rewind it onto the spare spool so that your new line ends up on top of the spool at the correct depth.

Graham Braithwaite

Reaction score
Baz,

Thanks very much for your advice. I'm going to spend a fair bit of tomorrow sorting all this out, so I'll load up my spoool as you've recommended.

Many thanks again.

regards,
Graham

Stuart Elsworth

Reaction score
To get the line tight, try passing the line through a telephone directory or a yellow pages.

Milo

Reaction score
Sound, just checking! I've never used the old YP's, instead either an old sock or tea-towel.

S

sash

Old sponge, wetted or even with a few drops of washing up liquid on it to aid line sink.

Graham Braithwaite

Reaction score
Can I just say 'thank you' again to all of you who have helped me on this one. I think I should be able to manage to load it now in time for, hopefully, a nice long session this weekend.

Thanks again.

Graham