Guess the weight

G

Gary Knowles 2

I admit to being totally gobsmacked that I could overestimate a fish as much as I did the pike in the last Blithfield article. Remember my boat partner also guessed a similar weight and both he and I like to think we are pretty good 'estimators' of a fishes weight, and to be fair we are as we both normally get pretty close before before we weigh the fish.

Has anyone else ever had a fish that's weight has fooled them either over or under their estimates as dramatically as this fish ?

And what reasons would you attribute to the fishes 'deception'?

J

jason fisher

i thought mid to high 20's from the photo. it certainly looks bigger than that 23.

L

Les Clark

I would have said high 20`s ,maybe both sets of scales need to be rechecked ?
But whatever, a superb pike ,well done Gary .

G

Gary Knowles 2

cheers guys,

Fact is it's gone back now so whatever I think (or thought) it's a 21.

What is quite strange is that I've had photos developed before which have been deceptive but never the fish itself !

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Who's Bella Emberg ??? Must have been before my time ......

C

Coops

I think the 1lb to 3lb fish are the hardest to estimate. You tend, in percentage terms, to be much further out in your estimation.

As a for instance, I was talking to guy fishing a match on the Thames on Sunday. He was catching roach one a chuck, mostly 3 - 6 oz bracket, with the odd better fish. He hooked into an obviously better specimen which he duly landed and I estimated went 12-14 oz. On the official match scales it went 1lb 4oz. I was miles out!

L

Limestone

Chub can be tricky, too. Dunno if it's just Ribble fish, but some look huge and weigh very light, while others don't look special but take the scales down more than you'd think.

And as for some of the Ribble barbel you see in the weeklies...

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

Enjoyed the article immensely and thanks for the glowing tribute. :)
You should check with Rik, I'd lay money that fish is the scraper twenty he had on the first session. I usually pride myself on being pretty cute at estimating a pike's weight but that bugger threw me completely. I was convinced he'd got himself a twenty five plusser when we bought it aboard. I've got some decent slides of it somewhere, I'll check out the markings when I get the chance.

Regards Chris