Fly Fishing for Pike

R

Ron Clay

In today's Angling Times, Des Taylor says that fly fishing for pike will be a disaster in response to Anglian Water inviting the capture of pike by this method. He goes on to say that playing pike for 10 minutes on a sloppy wand will harm the fish as pike are not in their best condiiton in summer.

Whilst I do not fully agree with Des' ideas, there is the chance that some fly anglers will try for these fish with inadeqate tackle. I've even read where a trout reservior rod will be found suitable.

Personally I wouldn't fish for pike with anything less than a 10 weight 9 foot fly rod tgether with 15 lb leader and trace and a strong disc drag large diameter reel. I've caught Sharp Tooth catfish up to 15kg on this sort of geat and they will make any pike look like a skimmer bream when it comes to fighting power. At least a minimum in terms of rod and line power should be laid down.

Still what do you think to Des' statement?

C

Chris Bishop

Several people I know are at it now - they don't seem to have problems. Pike need care this time of year however you catch them, esp when oxygen levels are down and the fish has given its all.

At the end of the day a fly does them a lot less harm than a three-hook jerkbait with 2/0 trebles -or a gorged deadbait slung out as an after-thought over the back of a holiday cruiser.

R

Ron Clay

Yes Chris I think Des Taylor's sweeping statements require a letter.

R

Rob Brownfield

here here Chris...totally agree...Des is up to his old tricks again!. Personnally, the premotion of fly fishing for pike has done a huge amount of good for the welfare of Pike. Game anglers, who would traditionally throw fish up the bank, are learning to care for and return out Pike. Also, many reservoirs have openned there doors to Pikers...Unheard of 15 years ago...

I say....Des....shut ya face...stop spoling our sport...look at what u are saying...and if its founded on hearsay and rumours, dont say anything at all....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrr

R

Ron Clay

Des Taylor should keep out of arguements where he has little or no experience. I once watched him cast a fly in a video and he was hopeless at it.

I fully agree Rob with what you say.

Now who's going to write to AT

R

Rob Brownfield

All of us!!!!

I am sick and tired of this plonker making a mockery out of other anglers...and out of his supposed "skill" as an all round angler. The guy is a menace and an insult to most anglers. Every week he has an unjustified pop at someone.

I bought a couple of Vids of him fishing at Cuttle Mill. I have watched them once...and thats it...How does he catch fish???...

I wish AT would drop him!!