A bit of fish phsichology

A

Antoni Dimitrov

HI,this topic may be looks familiar to most of you,because I've post this few months ago,but my "investigation" didnt go far, so far
And now I would like to bring this to end!
I would like to ask all of you to share your opinion about the way,that the stress affect the appetite of the fishes.I mean after the fish has been cought and released,how long it takes it to get over this and to start feeding again?Is this affect somehow the growing rates?
And if catching doesn't affect the appetite,does it affect the other phisiological processes as breeding?
The reason for asking this is that in my lovely country Bulgaria,most of the "advanced" anglers and fishkeepers shared the persuasion,that the fish is not feeding after been cought and this affect the growing rates(of which they are very concern for!) and do not want to let people fishing in their lakes or if they do so you have to pay the fish and take it away with you .So me and my mate decided to write a report on this subject and to attach it as a part of the graduating work in Forestry and envoirment.
I would like to do a monitoring of this phenomenon over here,where I will be able to do some decent observations and to get some advices from more experienced anglers!
Any info about your observatons or books that could help are apreciated!
Thank you in advance for helping in our struggle to improve the Bulgarian angling and knowledge!
Bgangler

J

jason fisher

having caught the same fish twice within about 10 minutes, and one pike 6 times in 2 weeks, i don't think it affects them too much at all.

W

Wolfman Woody

I caught the same chub three times in one 4 hour session. May not be the same for all species though. Barbel may rest up for at least an hour.

A

Antoni Dimitrov

I have noticed that predators getting over quickly,but about the Carp,bream,roach Im not sure!
Cheers

B

Bill Cox

Antoni
As a past club secimen officer i can give you many examples of larger carp coming out two or three times a season (and these are only the reported catches)and still putting on weight right through the year.

T

The Monk

Antoni

Do you know the area between Bourgas and Nessibur on the Black Sea coast, a very scenic shallow lake with islands is visible from the main road, I`d be interested to know if it contains silver carp ?

A

Antoni Dimitrov

YEs I think there is carp in the lake(if its the same lake Im thinking about),but what do you mean silver carp,do you mean grass carp?

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Antoni, This is the type misinformation that is usually spouted by the anti-angling brigade and has no basis in proven fact.
From my own experiences I don't think they're affected at all by being caught. Last October I fished a local lake that has a large head of carp and during the course of the day I caught one easily identifiable fish (half of it's upper tail lobe missing) three times.
A friend of mine once proved it to his mother (who always thought that fishing was cruel) by catching some of the fish in his aquarium and then letting her see how, after unhooking and being put back in the tank, they immediately competed with the other fish to have another go at the hook bait.
I'm sure every member of FM has experienced catching a particular fish more than once in the same day so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've made repeat catches of all species, many of them within the hour. There are mug fish (or very hungry fish) of all species.

T

The Monk

thanks Antoni, the silver carp are what the Bulgarians I`ve spoke to call them, I`m not sure what sp of Armaru they actually are but appear different that the White A. I did manage to fish these lakes in question but did fish two lakes at Slachen Briag which contained Cyprinus Carpio, a local farmer told me they went up to 25kg?, a lovely and interesting country however, on my visits I`ve also been to Plovdiv, Sofia and Varna

T

The Monk

These are the ones Antoni
Order: Cypriniformes
Family: Cyprinidae (Carp family)
Genus and species: Hypophthalmichthys molitrix (Silver carp)
maximum length: 100 cm
Dutch name: Zilverkarper
spawning season: -
German name: Silber Karpfen
spawning area: South-east Asia French name: Amour argent?
protection: none red list status: not included

T

The Monk

Going back to the original thread, I was out in Cyprus fishing (spinning) for American Large Mouth , strange fish Bass, I hooked a few of these fish and have a few drop off at the net, on recasting though, I`m sure the very same fish which had dropped off at the net, took again on the second casts???

D

Deecy

Whilst fishing a Scottish Loch two young ladies from Aberdeen University were present conducting a survey on the effects of capture on fish.They had been there most of the summer,I was there in early September.Being a Scottish Loch the data they had collected was based on Pike Perch and Eels.Mostly they were catching the fish themselves by angling, retaining the fish for some time in properly built properly sited large fish cages.They then recorded fatalities or apparent adverse side effects.Bearing in mind these young ladies were not anglers and had no experience of un-hooking Pike properly I imagined results would be slanted toward a negative result as far as angling was concerned.The ladies thought so too.What suprised them was the lack of adverse effects.There was one fatality,an Eel, which they admitted was partly their fault but other than that felt no significant harm was caused by angling.They later sent me their thesis.

A

Antoni Dimitrov

Hi about the silver carp,this is not the right translation of the bulgarian name,which is tholstolob(I can not translate it)however this fish is quite hard for catching,because her main food is plankton.I have read some artickles about catching it on boilies and corn,but I thing its more or less a chance.

A

Antoni Dimitrov

After a week of research I have found that along with the eels,perch and Pike,most of the Cyprinidae are likely to hooked more than once a day!BUt is that happening only in heavy stocked lakes like most of the comercials around?Maybe cometitive searching for food in this lakes is the reason for fish to despite the stress?