"The great rod rip off" ?

Y

yoggy

I"ve just had a visit from a mate who asked me if i could tell the differance between two rods he had with him?.In short, they were 99% identical apart from the name on the rod,the first rod he paid ?129.99,the second ?29.99!!!!!!!!!!!....I"m aware that differant companies use the same blanks for their rods,but it begs the question are we really being ripped off this much?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Normally Preston rods are quite good. I would like to feel them.

Are the guides SiC? Do they have quality cork handles with downlocking Fuji reel seats?

Basic Match 13 foot "match" rods can be produced in vast numbers very cheaply in the far east. Put a famous name on it and you can quadruple the final selling price because quite frankly people, being people are daft enough to buy it.

Trainers are the same. All made in the far east at a ridulously low price - pennies even.

But put the name "Nike" on it and you can get up to ?200 for the trainers. Brand names sell, not the product itself. It's all about marketing.

Get real quality and it's different. I have just taken delivery of two Harrison Chemira barbel rods. For the price of ?150.00 each, I know I have value for money. The blank is top class, the rings all SiC and the rest of the fittings are top class.

W

Wolfman Woody

"two Harrison Chimera barbel rods"? Your flashing again Ron.

Ron C

Reaction score
Yoggy who was the manufacture of the ?29.99 rod
Would it be a Ron Thompson rod?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You've got to be careful comparing rods. Just because they look the same and maybe feel similar when you flex them, doesn't mean they are the same.

There are big differences in quality of material, wall thicknesses, tapers, rings, reel fittings, etc, that may not at first be apparent.

Which doesn't mean to say that there aren't any rip-offs around. Although I have to say that in the case of rods you usually get what you pay for.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Graham is 100% right here and I do know a little about fly rods.

Cosmetically you can make two different blanks look like the same rod and sell them at two different prices too. Until you pick them up and attempt to cast with them. The properties of a top class fly rod are hard to define in words.

One particular property is called dampening. If you give a cheap fly rod a waggle, it will go on waggling until it becomes still, for quite some time. Good rods feel is if the have controlled recovery from flexing. Graham will know this because he owns a Sage - who are world leaders in blank construction with good dampening.

Due to poor dampening, cheap fly rods send the line out on forward and back casts in little waves or ripples. This cuts down on the distance you can effectively cast.

Good casters can compensate for this of course but a beginner can't. That's why a beginner at fly fishing should do his best and buy a decent rod to start. It's easier to learn with.

Often you hear people say that they want a cheap fly rod to learn how to cast.

Unfortunately the cheap rod often causes them to give up in disgust.

W

Wolfman Woody

When the Blue Diamond series were first introduced I had one for review and gave it a good write up. It performned very well and had soem nice Seymo RDX rings on it for it's ?135 price tag.

Then, later I was inn France in one of their huge Decathlon stores and saw the same rod. Was it though? Exactly the same blank with the same diamond weave and the very same handle. The rings weren't as good, but the price (after conversion) was only about ?60.

I still have the original Blue Diamond and I still like it.

L

Laurie Harper

Why not buy blanks and rings and make your own? I do. It's satisfying and you are in no doubt about the rod's provenance. "Last years" blanks from respectable manufacturers (North Western/Greys/Harrison, etc.) can be had for bargain prices.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I used to love making my own rods. In fact I used to make rods for other people and made a little money at it.

You can of course get top quality blanks fom Harrisons as well as the best fittings and reel seats. Then you can build your rod exactly the way you want it.

You also have the satisfaction of knowing that the corks have been glued on properly.

I have had rods in the past where the corks have become loose. Not from Harrisons I will say.

Top quality is that company and I get the feeling that the rod builders at Harrisons take great pride in their work.

W

Wolfman Woody

"as well as the best fittings and reel seats"?

I thought we'd decided that most reel seats are not up to standard and that must also include Harrisons since they use Fuji as well. Chimera Barbel is about the best.

MarT

Reaction score
So would someone please like to do an article on building your own rods,including best materials.. and where to get them from??
Because I would really like to have a go, but havn't got a clue where to start.

J

Jack Pike

I bought a Thompson rod last year only used it once went to use it the other day and the rings welds had rust on them so out comes my 30 year old Abu ledgerlite again.

J

Jack Pike

Mar T I have a old book on rod building I can loan it if you want to have a go.

MarT

Reaction score
Jack,

that's a very kind offer...but do not like to borrow other people's gear..don't trust myself...lol (probably end up with a cup of coffee all over it!)
But it was a nice thought and very much appreciated!
Just been looking on amazon and they have one or two on there..so maybe I can persuade someone to treat me :eek:)
Thanks again,
MarT

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Hey Jeff there's blow-all wrong with Fuji reel seats. I have used them for years.

The Fuji seats on my new Chimera rods are top class, type DPS and down locking with duplon covers that I must admit feel great.

Jim Gibbinson would be most impressed.

My new Drennan Tench Float rod also has a Fuji reel seat.

One of the great truths of life is that you get what you pay for. sometimes however certain products come along that are true bargains.

I can't say much but I have been offered the agency for a range of fly rods that are truly value for money. Can't say much more but I hope to have a couple of samples for the FM Fly fishing Fish-In.