The humble maggot

W

Wolfman Woody

It's been on the decline fro a long time because most people fishing the commercials are using pellets of one sort or another. I too have wondered what will will do when the maggot supply dries up.

Breeding your own is one solution and if you live in the Wiltshire you'll have plenty of opportunity. I couldn't believe the number of road kills I must have passed last Sunday, 40 or more from foxes to pheasants (some looked tasty still with a bit of hanging) and even little squirrels.

Boy how those carrot crunchers must drive so fast and reckless to hit so many.

W

Welsh Goff

I never go fishing without them, it will be a sad day when i cant buy them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Goff I always have maggot in my bait bag and wouldn't want to fish a river without them.

Jeff, remember the days when we used to breed (or try to at least) our own Gozzers?
I can't count the number of times I got yelled at for having rotting liver in the back garden!
Mind you the Bream on the Thames used to go mad for them so it was worth it.

b.t.w. - Carrot Crunchers? :)

We certainly do seem to get more than our fair share of road kill I must admit. Back in Mississippi they used to say that if you saw road kill that it was a "sign of good times" otherwise it would have been scooped up and cooked. I've tried Squirrel and Dumplings and it is really very good.

MarT

Reaction score
Just for the record,just found this...

United Kingdom: If you are in your car and run over an animal in the road, it is illegal to stop and pick it up and take home for supper (if its an edible animal of course) But the car behind you is perfectly legal to do so!!

Another anti-quated law...bit like the closed season...oops should not have said that!

N

NottmDon

Thats why they have ambulances for pedestrians then to stop the next motorist picking em up and eating them! Guess thats why they also charge you for the trip in the ambulance after an RTA! Closed season? On Road Kill? Lol I know what you mean honest!
Still breed my own gozzas and my wife still hates it but its a deadly bait on its day.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I know about maggots, gozzers, squatts and pinkies, but where do I buy humble maggots? Are they smaller than ordinary maggots? Providing the restrictions only apply to the production of humble maggots, presumably we'll continue to be able to obtain the other varieties.

If the worst comes to the worst, we might have to go back to using gentles.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You have to take pot luck with humble maggots Jim. You buy a quantity of any kind of ordinary maggots and then look for those that bury themselves under the others and won't come out. They're the humble ones.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Oh, and if they don't fight when you root them out, they're also gentles.

Now I'm going for a lie down.

G

Ged

I always thought that gentles had to be kept in your trousers!
Not bought maggots for a few years now, never know what colour to buy. Green, blue or rainbow. I know the orginal bronze was outlawed.
Well, if the gentles are no longer, then go worm dangling. Suppose that has to be kept in the trousers as well.