Catch Returns

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have fished in quite a few waters in my life where the filling in of a catch return form to be sent back to the authorities, has been mandatory.

In the USA for example this sort of thing is very common and it gives fishery owners and conservation bodies an accurate picture of what is being caught or what is not being caught.

When **** Walker had his stretch of the Ouse, he asked every guest to write a few words about what they had caught in the log book.

On the big reservoirs like Rutland of course there is a catch return form on the back of your ticket. This you complete and post in the many ticket boxes.

But what about coarse fishing waters?

Personally I think it would be a very good idea.

If you read reports of American waters you are given a very accurate picture of how the water is fishing. Eg: Week 15, 250 anglers caught 568 large mouth bass, best 11lbs - 479 released - etc.

Best bait - Brown gold flecked 6 inch Carolina rigged worm.

Would this work here?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Definitely got merits Ron, but on waters where there is no lodge in which the book/returns can be collected it wouldn't be easy. Postal returns don't work.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know of one particular club where catch returns were encouraged for course fishing.
Yes, they are a good idea, as it gives the club information as to how the fishery is doing, and if it is being used enough to warrant paying a rent for etc.

But some clubs would abuse this information by removing fish to another water at their own discretion without consulting the members first.
There have even been reports of such a water is fishing its head off.
This information can come from one person who has had one good day in twelve months.
Nothing in fishing is as straight forward as it seems. So it is a good idea that does not work.

S

sash

One of the syndicate type fisheries I'm a member of encourages annual returns to be filled in when renewing memberships but from my experiences once this information becomes public it can be abused by other members. For example you catch a large pike from a pit that is rumoured not to have any decent sized fish in it, complete thereturn and next winter you're previously undisturbed fishing is spoilt by hordes of bivvies on the bank.

I've learnt to tell a few trusted mates and no more than that. Selfish, possibly, but wise.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

On our all syndicate trout waters we had log books. All anglers visiting the waters had to log in and log out as well as record fish caught, killed or returned.

When you arrived on the water for a few days the first thing you did was to consult the log book. Other than recording catches this was a source of elightenment and entertainment.

But in those days a fishing trip was spent over several days, not just one day. I don't think I spent an Easter at home in many years in those days.

Peter wouldn't like that - fishing in the closed season ..... :eek:)