Sponsorship in angling?

E

EC

Mobile Futures subsidiary company rodsandsods.com are currently running a huge competition which offers a ?40k (yes forty thousand pounds) first prize, second place gets a car, 3rd place gets ?10k, 4th place ?5k, with prizes right down to 10th place.

At the same time they are also funding a series of 10 coaching events aimed at introducing youngsters in Britain and Ireland to the sport of angling.

My question is during a week when the Angling Times asks if we can turn away the Countryside Alliance to the tune of ?14K, why aren’t the angling press/media jumping up and down at the thought of a mobile phone company sponsoring the sport to the tune of ?100,000?

T

The Seeker of Truth & Justice

You've put this message on twice eddie, here and in the coarse section. could it be an advert by any chance? Are you anything to do with Mobile Futures or rod and sods by any chance?

E

EC

I am a qualified angling coach(not on the payroll of mobile futures or rods and sods), and will be taking part in the coaching roadshows being run by the above. I am simply perplexed and very disillusioned as to why some sponsors/events attract massive media coverage whereas other potentially much bigger sponsors/events do not.

Cheers

Eddie

P

Paul Williams

Eddie,
The answer is simple....they haven't sold it or it's a load of Bol***.....
My question is where are funds of that calibre coming from?

D

David Will

I had a look at the web site. It seems to be a series of matches at venues up and down the UK with a final on a Carp puddle somewhere.I also had a look at the parent company site , which in fact has the same address as rodsandsods.They appear to be suppliers of mobile phones and Internet access from mobiles.

E

EC

The event has been publicised in the AT and elsewhere, as to the question of where the funds are coming from.....the company is worth literally millions on the stock market, and is a supplier of wap phones etc. The worry is that if it is not a success, it may well deter sponsors of a similar calibre from investing in future.

C

Chris Bishop

This rods and sods thing is going on up here, it was in one of the local papers the other week - I think the King's Lynn clubs are hosting some of the qualifiers.

I couldn't find the company quoted or referred to anywhere (Forbes, PA News, Bloombergs, Reuters etc...)

If it's worth millions on the stock market it's usually listed somewhere - FTSE, Nasdaq, Dow etc etc.

This doesn't appear to be.

C

Chris Bishop

Total mistake - it is ftse listed but the name is Mobilefuture PLC.

The only mention I could find of it is a wires story about them providing the Woolwich with WAP banking services.

Apologies for any confusion caused.