Signs That May Be Omens

T

The Monk

must admit I go out of my way to walk under ladders and yes we do get decent weather occassionally in Manchester, having said that Rochdale must be the wettest town on the planet!

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I think it's important to greet magpies ("Good morning Mr. Magpie" - adjusted for gender and number). That isn't superstition, it's science. Not sure how one greets a dead magpie, though - "Rest your soul, Mr Magpie", might be worth a try.

Number thirteen is a problem for me. I NEVER go fishing on the 13th of the month - by choice I won't go anywhere other than to honour essential commitments such as work. It's not that I'm concerned about blanking - hell, no; I'm doubtful that I'll get there and back intact!

Again, it's nothing to do with superstition; it's science.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"("Good morning Mr. Magpie" - adjusted for gender and number)."

How do you tell the difference between male and female ???

Ergo

Reaction score
The female has her mouth open as usual.

Darkstar

Reaction score
Maybe you should have cut the magpie open, and read the portents in the entrails, or it's liver. lol.

L

Les Clark

Jim , My birthday is on the 13th ,so I can`t get away from that number and yes the " science " could be right .

Ergo

Reaction score
Omens for fishing?

When I fish on the local drains, I look at my wife before I go. If she is on her right side I fish on the right bank. If she is on her left side, I fish on the left bank.

If she is on her back, I am usually a bit late but happy. :)

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Ed, when I see more than one magpie, the first one I greet as "Mr"; the second as "Mrs" - thenceforth I alternate between Mr and Mrs.

As I said, it's science.

E

heheheh ------ But what happens if you get a pair of 'woofter' magpies ??

That would throw the whole
scientific equation into disarray wouldn't it?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I read in "Trout and Salmon" (so it MUST be true) that all depends upon which side the magpie is seen, and which way it's flying. The author maintained that a magpie on the right, flying further right, was the best omen, while a left-bound one spotted on the port-side augured worst. But does it vary with the handedness of the observer? I'm ambi with a left-hand bias ... does that mean magpies to starboard are the kiss of death?
Humiliation of maggots, salutation of magpies, there's too much to learn in this ruddy game before you even plumb the depth...

Garry Procter

Reaction score
Sorry for the ?mass reply? - I've been a bit busy. Today should be less so. Touch wood?

Les,

Lucky heather? I had some of that once, but I was so engrosssed in admiring I tripped over a black cat and broke my arm.

Monk,

Ahhh now I know. It was you and your "ladder walking" that was to balme for all that rain we used to get in Manchester (I expect you still get it?).

Jim,

As you know on the subject of science I'm deeply ignorant. And I can't carry out any magpie experiments as we have no magpies in Massachusetts (or at least if we do they avoid me - I'm probably bad luck for them). And the number 13 is banned in the whole of the USA for precisely the reasons you give.

Darkstar,

I dread to think what fate would have befallen me if I had dismembered that dead magpie. I'd probably have wound up in front of Magistrate Jim on a charge of GBH (Grievous Birdly Harm).

Alan,

I think it depends on whether the bird you see is a left-handed male or a right-handed female. Or vice-versa.

J

jason fisher

a woman i know's mother was very superstitious, she always saluted magpies to ward off the bad luck that she would get from seeing one, untill the day that she crashed the car while saluting one anyway.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I've been told that they're as tasty as rook if cooked in a pie.

E

Do you ever get up as far as Newburyport ??

Garry Procter

Reaction score
Ed,

Yes, we get up around there a couple of time a year at least. Very nice it is too. In fact my wife was only saying today that we should have a weekend away around there, if it ever stops snowing! You know the area?