Do you treat fishing like a job?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I must confess that many years ago I used to treat fishing, much of the time, like a job, but now, even though for the first time in my life, my full time job is in the fishing game, every outing is an absolute pleasure with no feeling of pressure involved at all.

How do others feel about their fishing? The deeper feelings, not just the 'I go fishing to smell the flowers bit'.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
New waters are exciting (new challenges, and all that). Interest is further maintained, I feel, if different species are sought. A new type of fishing can generate excitement, too (eg. fly fishing taken up by a dyed-in-the-wool coarse angler) - it's like being a beginner again (remember how exciting that was?)

Anglers who "burn out" tend, in the main, to be single species anglers (especially carp anglers) who fish a limited repertoire of waters. Spending too much time fishing can lead to "burn out", too - best to pace oneself.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Mark, you have written an excellent piece and I have also thought a great deal as to WHY I go fishing?

I have also been through the "personal best" phase of fishing, of setting targets and goals.

No more these days.

At my age I consider it an achievement just to be on the bank. I also am in a situation where I can go fishing whenever I feel like it, which to some, would be an extremely envious one. And I do go fishing when I feel like it. And if fishing is becoming a chore, I pack it in and go to the pub.

I have had times in my life where I have done little fishing. For instance when me and my late wife adopted Sean, my son. Also when work pressure created a situation where I just simply could not get away, even on a Sunday.

These days I do as much fishing as I can, but never one particular style. I am very much a Mr. Crabtree type angler, fishing each season for the species of that season.

And when it is a cold horrible miserable day, I will think of those words by Fred J. Taylor.

"I'll be glad when I've had enough of this."

S

sash

Excellent thoughts and very nicely presented Mark.

For myself, despite setting goals and targets for every season, I find that more and more I can look back on the year and select three or four moments that have nothing to do with those targets that have made the year special.

This last season I remember sitting at a secluded, stunning tench lake with a mate, rods out, sat next to each other, enjoying a bottle of excellent red and just chatting (interspersed with the odd buzz of the alarms too which always helps!). Not everyone's cup of tea I guess (and not always mine either) but at that moment it was such an opposite to and an escape from the everyday working life that it stood out.

Another moment was sitting down amongst the dry reed beds of a fen drain watching the most amazing sunset while keeping an eye on the pike floats. The photos were brilliant but they don't convey that moment of solitude, that moment of peace that few non-fishermen ever get to experience.

That's one of the reasons why I go fishing.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
How significant is it though that the first three posts to this thread are from anglers who have more than 50 years angling experience (each) behind them?

Is our current attitude a result of experience (bringing wisdom) or a result of a deterioration in both physical and mental determination and ambition ? Old Fart Syndrome for those who prefer that description?

I often ask myself that question and almost always come to the conclusion that it's for the most part wisdom, tempered with a touch of old fart syndrome.

But come on you lot, if you think it?s all about being an old fart then say so, we can take it; that?s one of the advantages of being an old fart ? tolerance, wisdom, perception, understanding, et al.

I must say though, that my own enthusiasm for angling is growing as I get older.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I echo that Graham.

And even at our ages we can discover new ways of fishing and new things to learn. Take pole fishing for example.

Since trying it I've caught lots of fish and I guess I will be doing lots more of it in the future.

And yesterday I did my first bit of fly fishing in months. For nearly 2 hours I caught nothing, and then I got a take and landede a trout.

After over 40 years of fly fishing I discovered that I can still do it. That alone is a great achievement, well for me it is.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

By the way chaps. I've suddenly woken up to the fact that it is my birthday tomorrow...

:eek:(

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
If we're into a bit of self-trumpet blowing then I can also claim to be a new (but only occasional) pole angler. Since taking it up about 5 to 6 years ago I've used it to win my club's match championships for three years running, a record in itself. Not big matches I have to say, but that's not bad going for an old fart.

J

jason fisher

Apart from the last ribble fish in i haven't actually been since august, the only thing i can put it down to is not being able to face learning loads of new waters, which will take years before i can go back and be sure that i'm doing the right things on the day on any given venue.

i had passed that stage in oxfordshire i knew before i went where i would be going and what species i would likely catch depending on the conditions and methods i was going to use on the day.

i just can't seem to face blanking for months.

J

jason fisher

as for why the first posts were all by people who had been fishing for 50 odd years each, it's because you old farts don't work hard so you can spend half the day on here.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'd actually love a challenge like that Jason. It's fishing the same way for the same fish (and especially in the same place(s)) I couldn't face. Which is probably why I could never be a single species angler.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"as for why the first posts were all by people who had been fishing for 50 odd years each, it's because you old farts don't work hard so you can spend half the day on here."

Either that or because we've done our work and made time to come on here.

J

jason fisher

i'll love it too once i've actually dragged my self out of the chair and got on with it, i just can't get the fire in my belly that will make me go and do the work.

Actually i think i might have just realised what's wrong, i'm still depressed! bugger.

J

jason fisher

Having said that a large part of my enjoyment comes from being able to watch the wildlife when i get to the right place. maybe i just haven't found that place yet that will give me the urge to go, one that will sooth my soul.

though that bit of the ribble wasn't far off.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

One of the most marvellous things about working for one's self is that you don't have to sit in an office trying to look busy when you have done all your work in a few minutes.

The worst thing about being an old fart is that old saying that goes through your mind constantly.

"I wish I was 21 and know what I know now."

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

By the way Jason as you grow older you learn to work smarter, not harder.

A German bloke taught me that some years ago. He only worked about 2 days a week but yet he made a fortune.

S

sash

"Having said that a large part of my enjoyment comes from being able to watch the wildlife when i get to the right place"

my sentiments exactly Jason as long as they're not Tufted ducks raiding my baited spots!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I stopped fishing about 10 years ago, the bailiffing went aswell, I just seemed to loose interest, there is no other reason for it.
But as I was walking about the street or town, or anywhere I went, people always said hello Baz, how?s things? Young and old alike.
It was always in the forefront of my mind that these people and friends who always stopped me or called around my house for a chat, were fishing related friends.
My absence from fishing lasted a painfull two months, as I tried to reason with myself that no way was I going back into it.
One day I bumped into the secretary?s wife of my club, and she asked how I was doing. I told her, I might nip into the H.Q. to see some of the lads, and she said; it?s the camaraderie between members that you miss isn?t it?
And she was dead right (for once) I was back into it the next day. We have had many a screaming match between us at meetings since, it is our A.G.M. this week, and I will be giving them some more stick, and enjoying every minuet of it.
How can I give something up, that gives me so much enjoyment? It?s impossible, the fishing aint bad either.

On reflection I think it was the constant battling to get things done or altered to make a better fishing life for everybody.
as like some of us on here, I had a lot of expierience but could see the same old problems cropping up year after year.
How old do you have to be to quallify as an old fart? I think I'm one.

J

jason fisher

i get a massive ammount of enjoyment watching tufted ducks raiding other peoples baited spots.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"How old do you have to be to qualify as an old fart?" Asked baz.

There are a lot of old farts around who are a lot younger than me Baz. It isn't necessarily a question of age, but of attitude.