Preston Feeders

G

Geoff Cowen

Preston Open-End Power Feeders
Open-end swim feeders of exceptional quality with a reasonable price tag for the twin value pack, so says the review.
My experience is slightly different - I used some Preston feeders a couple of years ago and although of a different design, within 10 minutes of use the first one disintegrated and likewise for the second. I contacted Prestons via an e-mail address and am still waiting for a reply two years on. I will never use them again. It is not just Prestons at fault over the quality of material used in manufacture. Most of the feeders on sale today are made of brittle material. I have some feeders bought 20 years ago that are in better condition that ones bought 2 months ago. For this reason I have started using PVA bags with leads - much cheaper in the end.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"My experience is slightly different - I used some Preston feeders a couple of years ago and although of a different design, within 10 minutes of use the first one disintegrated and likewise for the second."

With all due respect you do say these were of a different design --so maybe they have addressed your complaint and got it right

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I recently bought some of these and initial impressions were good. I wanted to use them on the Trent for Barbel fishing.

However when I tried to attatch extra lead in the form of dead cows the holes in the feeder are quite far apart. This meant I could only attach 2 of the 4 legs. Not very secure then.

So next I wanted to change the swivel for a larger one, size 8 or so to enable me to use them with lead clips or running over rig tubing. Err. It can't be done without replacing the rubber arm with a loop of powergum.

Also, where's the bigger sizes - not just for Barbel fishing but what about Tench fishing, or getting a bed of bait down for Bream?

So, while the plastic frame seems nice and tough I'm not impressed and still think there's a gap in the market here.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Well said Ed, the review was of a specific product, and I stand by my comments.

Matt, good point about the dead cow leads and swivel. Not having the need to fit extra leads or change the swivel when I used them I didn't realise it couldn't be easily done.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I'm waiting to look at the new Fox open ended feeders. I like the fact that they come in different weight options up to 3oz.

It would be lovely to have a feeder that lasts when fishing over gravel and rocks!

E

Eric Hayes

I've been using them on the Ribble all season with out a problem, they are tough as boots. On occasions I have wrapped them in lead flashing to bring them with in the required weight when the river is carrying extra water. I did manage to crack one but I was being over enthusiastic with the lead flashing and pliers.

If I could make them better I would make them bigger in physical size and up to 4 oz in weight.

M

matthew nightingale 2

I've found that Drennan grip mesh feeders work well, slightly different job I grant you, but one advantage is that they squash up and therefore you can pull them out of snags better than stiffer designs.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I like the Gripmesh feeders very much but when I don't want the bait to empty until it hits the bottom I prefer a modified and taped up Nisa feeder.

ps. Another issue I have with the Prestons is that they are a bugger to retrieve. Am I fussy or what?