Fishing off a motorbike

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Just a quickie what is it legal to carry on a motorbike can I carry a rod holdall as without it I have no brolly so a miserable wet day would probably ensue.
Anybody else do this, some advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Well I once saw a bloke riding a moped. His wife was sat on the back - facing backwards with her legs slightly spread. On one knee sat a small child and on the other was a dog!

You should be OK with a holdall.

Mind you, this was in Turkey 20 years ago.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
missus kids and dog are not coming for sure!!!!
Cheers I am thinking the chair and rucky strapped on back and a rod holdall over back thats it .

Windy

Reaction score
When I was younger and in my biking days I used to lash my rods and long straight stuff fore and aft alongside the seat, tied to the front handlebar post thingy (not the bit that moves, the up and downy bit that the handlebars revolve inside) (you know what I mean) and lashed to the side of the rear carrier. Legs over the sides and tucked under the side of the seat, and Bob's your unfeasibly close relative.

Mind you, that was 35 odd years ago and the fuzz were a lot more tolerant way back then.... :wh

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
cheers Windy ,I just wasnt sure about my holdall hanging over if it would be deemed dangerous .might try yourway used to do that on my pedal bike and all .

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Buy yourself travel rods, Gav. Problem over. I used to ride a 1300 Kwak while carrying a rod holdall - not to be recommended at over 70mph, and even at that speed, the rod holdall would pull me all over the place.

You can get trailers for bikes - might be worth a look. But these days, with travel rods so good, I'd invest on something that breaks down to four or five sections, and stow it in a big rucker with the other gear.

Brolly? Who would ride a bike on a rainy day without waterproofs? I haven't used my brolly for ten years or more...

blankmeister

Reaction score
My mate and I used to carry all our gear on my motorbike (including a big bucket of livebait) when we used to go Pike fishing at Old Bury Hill. Gawd knows how we did it, I'm sure we wouldn't get away with it now:eek:
(wouldn't be allowed to move live fish to another water now anyway !)

slime monster

Reaction score
I used to go miles on motorbikes ....proper motor bikes and my tried and tested method was wicker basket on the rear carrier ,holdall on pillion seat ,rod bag base on nearside pillion foot peg with bag angled back to side of carrier all lashed down with lethal bungies . this I did for years with no hassle until a copper waved me in one day , he insisted it was unsafe but I argued to the contrary and finally he agreed to give me a chance to prove it by following me . after trying to keep up with me down a very twisty lane he allowed me to continue adding that I was crazy and lucky not to get a speeding ticket off him.

flightliner

Reaction score
Me and my mate did the very same thing when we were in our late teens, we would travel to some of the open matches on the witham which was a seventy mile journey. We never had any probs from the loads or the police. The funniest thing I ever witnessed was once when following my mate in front I could see that he was leaving a trail of groundbait everytime he went over a bump in the road.I did my best to catch him up but he thought that I was trying to race him so kept well in front without stopping. When we arrived at the match headquarters at Woodall spa he had no groundbait left in his basket. I couldnt stop laughing but he shut me up by float fishing instead of tipping it and won his section!!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Cheers lads ,somethings to try and get meself killed or a ticket or both I definatly need a brolly or after looking on lakeland bushcraft it maybe some basha poles and tarp might just be the answer .Cracking little nik naks for boys on there lads.
Iam going to have a load up tommorow to see how things look .Thanks chappies.

stuartpengs

Reaction score
As others have already mentioned a travel rod will make your life a lot easier I can recommend two the first being the Shakespeare Mach one travel match rod this is a five piece 13' rod and is an excellent all round float rod don't take too much notice of the Match tag as I have stopped barbel of up to 8lb on it in the river Ribble with no difficulty.
The other one is the John Wilson Travel Avon/Quiver this will cover most of your other angling needs again I have one and it is better than it has any right to be!
Hope this helps

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Cheers fellas ,I have a 3 piece match rod my poles not big either its me barbel rod landing net handle and brolly.6 foot .mmm
Keeping a mobile approach might have to be considered as Sparky says but getting wet all day is horrid and were do I brew and relax for an hour or two watching a rod top.
mmm thanks for advice fellas will post back soon and let you know what I decide . Confused as ever Gav.