Tench Fishing

J

Jason Ball

Any tips for catching tench on a commercial pool. In specific Pool hall in the midlands if not just tips in general.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had my first tench session on Friday evening /night, Jason.
I caught lots of 3 lbers but nothing bigger. They were all caught in the margins, even though they were showing in mid water aswell. Baits were pellets and boilies, on a running rig. It was a full moon aswell. The next day really slowed down, although the conditions were the same, so it is still a bit patchy this early in the year.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
There definitely having it now. Had one at 5.8 and one at 4 yesterday, lost one as well. I was only using casters and light tackle for Roach. I often find small baits best until it warms up further. Anyone any thoughts on that?

Mark P

Reaction score
10mm tutti fruity or sweet corn! you will never go far wrong.

J

Jason Ball

Lads I want to upgrade my specimen gear as I only have a bit stuff my grandad gave me what test curve rods and what make of rods if it matters do you recommend for big tench and carp also any good reels for this job to.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's a big difference between big tench and carp Jason.

For smaller tench,2- 4lb I use my J.Wilson rod.

For big tench, I would be happy with my Harrisson 1.75 carp rod.

For carp specifically, I would feel better with a rod of 2lb test curve at least.
Bait runner reels would do you for both types of fishing.

J.B

Reaction score
Cheers baz I didnt word the question very well I did know you need a lot lighter tackle for tench to carp are you a regular big fish angler baz?

Mark P

Reaction score
I use my Greys 1.5tc for tench and a shimano 5000B bait runner with either 6 or 8lb line, the reason being at the waters i fish you have a chance of a good carp aswell.

Mark P

Reaction score
Hey Baz even though the question was for you i hope you dont mind me giving some advice ;o), J.B the best advice i could give is rake up your swim! its fantastic and works every time.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's ok Mark.

Jason,
no, I'm not a regular big fish angler, the 3lb tench where I go are known as maniacs, as they put up a really good fight, so all depending on which area of the lake I am fishing on,I know the likelyhood of getting something bigger is a possibility. Therefore I will use a stronger rod.
I agree with Mark that a 5000 bait runner would be ideal for most of it.
I have a 6000, but I find it way too big for what I need.
My usual reel is a Cardinal 55.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
J.B.
If you read the carp section, you can allways scale down slightly for the tench or breem fishing.

J.B

Reaction score
Cheers Baz and Mark The Question is for any one All advice is welcome I Have learnt so much from this site its great thanks for the tips.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
If you decide to use groundbait Expo seems a favourite and mixed with brown crumb and crushed hemp can go along way. Sweetcorn if used in moderation at this time of year seems to be liked by tincas of all sizes as do casters if you are using float gear. Richworth strawberry or tutti frutti mini boilies also seem to work well- especially the frozen ones as opposed to the shelf life versions which are not liked as much by tench.
The other trick is to find out what the carpies are filling the lake in with and scale down the size of bait and fish with that. Tench and Bream do seem slower to turn on to boilies but once they do they have been known to pig out big style and take longer for the bait to 'blow'. I think most carpies tend to change baits very quickly once the 'nuisance' fish catch on to the free lunch so if asked politely they will tell you what they were using last year/month to catch the tench and bream.

K

Kevan Farmer

I picked up a bag of 10mm strawberry and ice cream Hi Attract Dynamite bait boilies at the NEC. I'm hoping that these will pull a few tench in for me. Especially being as it's about 20 yrs since I last caught one :))))

Tackle wise I stick to either 1.25lb tc's or my Fishingmagic Harrison 1.5lb tc coupled with either one of my many pins or Mitchell 300 reels. With this set up I can choose to either ledger or float fish.

J

jason fisher

first question would have to be what do you call a big tench.

K

Kevan Farmer

Ah, how long is a piece of string? If the water you are fishing only holds tench to 5lb then 3.5lb and above is big. For that water. In another water an 8 or 9lb fish might be perfectly average. Overall I tend to think of a large specimen of any species as being about 2/3rds and above of the record weight. Others may have different criteria.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I also take into account how hard they fight on any given water. Even a tench of three pounds can give you the run around on too light a tackle.