carp keepnets

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
when fishing matches at drayton and boddington resevoirs,are you required to have full sack material keep nets or are the mix mesh ones with sacking at the bottom ok to use???

Dave Float

Reaction score
On drayton mixed mesh is ok but i would advise you to take 2 or 3 nets due to the rule of only 12 fish per net.You can soon rack up a massive weight and having spare nets is essential.My best weight for there was 308lbs in a six hour club match and i used 4 nets in total.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
cheers for that dave.....with a weight like that i`m presuming you were either on the dam wall or the boards next to the sailing club???
any hints and tips about methods used would be most welcome as most of the anglers in our works club are just getting back into fishing or are complete novices.only a handfull of us are in the know as it were and i`m the only one who has fished drayton before but that was about 4 years ago....
thanks again.

Dave Float

Reaction score
Hi nick. yes i was on the boards that day peg 34h.The best tips i can give are when the weather warms up is to fish the bagging waggler.This method produces some huge weights in summer.My favourite mix for the wagg is 1kg of v.d.e. expander gold and 1kg ringers groundbait.Mix it so it holds on the wagg for casting but you want it to break down fast so you get a constant stream and cloud of bait in your swim that will attract the carp beneth your float.Hook bait wise,hair rigged pellet or white chocolate boilies work very well.Also recast every 2 to 3 minutes and hold onto your rod as the takes are quite violent.Tackle wise a 1 and three quater t/c rod,8lb mainline and a strong forged b/less hook size 10-12 will be suffice.If you draw on the boards you can also catch carp very close,with in a couple of meters or so.Ultra strong tackle is needed for this type of fishing as you cannot give them an inch.Carp rods with 12lb line straight trough to a very strong forged hook with a dibber style float is about right.Cat meat on the hook with loose feed 6mm feed pellets will get your plenty of hang on action.Method feeder tackics will also work ,fish same groundbait mix as mentioned before with hair rigged corn on the hook.Hope this info has been some use to you .Tight lines and go and bag a tonne of fish..