whip fishing

Reaction score
Hope this does not sound silly but what size fish can you catch with a whip. Could you say catch skimmers or small carp up to say 3-4lb or would that be to heavy and in the relms of using a pole.

J

jason fisher

less than a pound really, they're best used to catch loads of 1 to 2oz fish.

for the size you want it's elasticated pole teritory just use the top 4 of 5 sections.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Trevor,

Depending on the type of whip used then 3 to 4 pound fish are no problem at all.

Any good whip with a thickish wall will handle this size of fish and even more so if you cut back the tip section and insert 20lb power gum through what is left of the tip and the second sections.

If you can get them; then look for the Triana VHS whips made in sizes from 5m to 9m, alternatively the Tubertini Atom range in 6,7 and 8 meters, but these were mainly sold in Europe and Scandinavia.

Otherwise I would agree with Jason that the thinner "speed" whips are best used on smallish fish.

Hope this helps but let me know if you have any other questions.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Trevor,
A lot of the speed fishing the whip is known for is removed when fishing for larger fish as they have to be neted rather than swung to hand, both the above replies are correct and give you the main choices available, thick walled whip or elasticated pole, the choice really come down to personal preference, I use a whip for the small stuff and as Jason said a pole for the bigger ones, even in the margins.

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for the advice I will take on board what you have said, and once again Thanks.