Pen rod / pocket rocket pen rod etc

tortoise100

Reaction score
Has anyone used any of these .
Des tailor is currently endorsing them from grandslam ,he says they have been specially designed but I think the grandslam ones are probably re-branded penfishingrod.com ones that do appear to be the better ones and around 5ft with fixed spool reels.
You can get very cheap 3ft ones with a baitcaster on ebeay but I have read in a few places that this baitcaster either does not cast or is of seriously low quality.

The granslam ones have a guarantee and everyone is encouraged to try and catch large fish with one, I have to admit it does look fun .

There will be a match with prizes as well for open to anyone who has got a genuine grandslam one.

It said "This combo has already started angling forums up and down the country buzzing with excitement about what this rod and reel can do!!!! " No it isn't !!

I am doing something along a similar line by just starting fly fishing for carp but they only average 4lb in my lake.

I will be going to mullarkeys on Saturday so should be able to look at one and will post on how it seems .
Opinions please .

Last edited:

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I've looked at these rods in the past but I've only seen the ones on ebay, I like the look for ultra lite lures but unless your fishing from a boat or platform any reeds or weed would make landing a fish a nightmare.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcvXbbUxoWk"]YouTube - NEW Pen Fishing Rod Extreme - Official Site[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2_ayGKkY3M"]YouTube - Penfishingrods.com For Dummies[/ame]

tortoise100

Reaction score
The rod does actually seem very good up close and personal and the reel looks like the best bit , a very sensitive clutch by all appearances but then it would have to be.
One of the lads at Mullarkeys is planning to take one fishing on the ebro mainly for the 3lb roach that are supposed to be common but he told me of plans to try and fit a larger reel then maybe go for cats but I think he was joking :eek:
It certainly looked like it would cope with 10lb fish but the 18lb must have been a brown trouser moment for a start the reel will not hold that much line .

I think i will be getting one as my birthday present from the wife but thats not till the 20th November so I hope they don't do the match before then .

BTW Mullarkeys were down to there last one so people must be buying them!!

Steve King

Reaction score
To be honest a rod that short has only limited applications (as has been said already). You can land big fish with short rods, but it depends on the action of the rod and whether there are weedbeds and snags etc.

My first few barbel were caught (by accident) using a 9½ foot quivertip rod - it was an ideal rod for chubbing on smallish river like the Kennet. For barbel however the rod was useless, most of the rod was bent right round pointing downstream and I was effectively left with a handle and a few feet of rod!!

To "pump and wind" I had to use my extended arm to "pump"!!

I know that Des T isn't suggesting these little rods are used for barbel or big carp, but I was just making the point that they are not effective in all situations.

One of the videos shows a carp being played and landed, but I reckon it would have been brought in in half the time on proper gear!

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I'm sure they will sell loads through junk mail and the stuff put out with national newspapers and magazines, just like Lidl does when it targets non anglers.
Obviously they are not very safety conscious in the US, I remember Matt Hayes was vilified in the letters pages of AT a few years ago after being photographed boat fishing without any floatation equipment.

penfishingrods

Reaction score
Penfishingrods.com

The truth of the matter is we ( Pen Rod Extreme ) are the original manufacturers & leading Pen Fishing Rod distributors in the world. The companies that came after us attempted to clone not only our products, but competitions, policies & the title of the world record 18lb carp as well. The current world record is held by Neil Jary of Norfolk, England & a valid record logged in at guinness world records. Any claim to the world record on a Pen Fishing Rod in any video is a reference to our product & record & that's the reason they say they want to break it. Here's the link to that video. YouTube - BIG Carp with Penfishingrods.com
Any other claims by any company in the UK are an attempt to cleverly alude that their rod was the one that caught that fish. You can go on youtube.com & ask the world record holder yourselves. Other claims about us targeting non anglers through magazine, TV ads etc are also false. We only sell from our web site. We are also Pen Rod Extreme . Anyone who says that our rods were re-enigineered for another company in the UK or anywhere else is also false. Those rods are an attempt at copying our rods. Theirs are 5'? Well, our Pen Fishing Rod Goliath is 5' 3" & our smaller Pen Fishing Rod Extreme is 4' 9". We also have 3 different types of MX15 rear drag reels & an Extreme Bait Caster for sale besides the common fly reels, miniature bait caster & front drag reels that are available anywhere on the net.
The fact of the matter is that if anything happens to one of our rods we have millions of replacements for our customers for just $7.99. We also offer a new rod & reel combo for anyone who is willing to promote our products by creating a video of them using our products & posting it to youtube.com. We have a BIG FISH contest every year & hand out cool prizes to the biggest fish caught & weighed on film for that year. We don't use a famous fisherman to make a video using the exact same words from the original company's video to promote our products either, because we ARE the original company. We use customers just like you to prove the worth of our products. We also have an online album Flickr: Penfishingrods.com's Photostream that shows every fish that was caught on our rods & submitted by happy customers from all over the globe to date! I hope I cleared up all the misconceptions that have been said or assumed. We'll still be here when the other companies are still trying to copy our claims! :wh Oh, did I mention the other 10, 14 & 15 lb fish that were caught on our rods??

2nd place
YouTube - Stalking for Carp with Penfishingrods.com

Penfishingrods.com ™ Pro Staffer Doug B. of Colorado Springs, CO., with his beautiful 10 lb Wild Carp on the Pen Rod Extreme, and he did it again! You just can't call that luck!

3rd place
YouTube - Fish Fighting Basics with Penfishingrods.com

4th place
YouTube - Extreme Carp FIshing with Penfishingrods.com

5th Place
YouTube - HUGE Carp with Penfishingrods.com

Any questions about any of our claims or products can be sent directly to sales@penfishingrods.com :)

Last edited:

frederico

Reaction score
dont get the cheap ones off the internet - I got one that came with a close face reel,but the hole in the face of the reel was too small for the line to come through it- it is impossible to cast, get a proper 'pen fishing rods' one or a 'grandeslam' one- not the crappy ones
cheers

B

binka

I've had one of the Grandslam pen rods and found it was great fun.

Caught many fish on it and adding a small folding landing net to a bag in the boot of the car it was always there along with a few small Mepps.

It's not something that I would deliberately set out to do but I've had pike to around 5lb on it with no bother at all whilst light spinning for perch and convinced it would handle bigger fish with no problem, it faired equally well chucking a small waggler out for roach on a local pond.

Again great fun, I know the makers state ctaches of large fish without a problem and I have no reason to doubt it but definitely to be used responsibly in relation to what you are looking to catch, in my opinion.

I've got some pics of it somewhere in action, if I find them i'll try and post them in.