Foul hooked fish story...

Graham Braithwaite

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just thought I'd tell you all that something of a freak occurence has befallen me today: The last fish I caught last Autumn (I don't fish in the Winter) was a 'foul hooked' Carp caught, amamazingly through the top of the dorsal fin, and the first fish I've caught this year was another Carp (much bigger than the last one) which was hooked into its side just behind the front fin.

Both fish were returned, apparently unharmed, to the water, and both will no doubt live to fight another day, but I just wondered whether anyone else had encountered such an odd occurence or can relate a similar tale.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I caught a small roach a number of years ago.
I was fishing caster, but when I reeled the roach in, I had a pinkie on the hook.
The roach had obviousely been feeding on pinkies further up the swim from me. It took my caster off and as I struck I must have hooked a pinkie as well. And it was the right way up.
What are the chances of that happening ever again?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Thje most incredible thing that ever happened to me, and I don't blame you if you don't beleive this occured in 1995 at Linear Fisheries Oxford.

I was tench fishing with a simple link leger consisting of a 5 pound hook length attatched to 6lbs main line with a swivel.

I had a bite, hooked the fish which felt to be a decent tench and then everything went slack.

I reeled in and noticed the end of the mainline without the leger and with a pigtail in it. A bad knot on my part.

I cast out and about 10 minutes later got a nice lift on my ringle. I struck, hooked the fish and played in a very nice tench of nearly 7 pounds.

THE HOOK WAS THROUGH THE EYE OF THE SWIVEL ON THE HOOKLENGTH I HAD JUST LOST!!!

Beat that one.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was fishing at a local lake, when I clumsilly struck too hard. I had hooked a three pound rainbow trout which came flying off the hook and went over the hedge behind me, but not before knocking a pheasent to the ground, the pheasent hit a rabbit, and when I picked the rabbit up, there was a pound of musharooms growing underneath it.

L

Les Clark

Ron ,back in the early 70`s a group of us where fishing a local water for tench ,one of the lads had one of his rods pulled out of the rod rests into the water,quick as a flash he recast his other rod to the one that was sailing away ,the hook of the 2nd rod hooked into the cork handle of the first ,not only did he get the rod back but a good sized carp as well.

adrian bunn

Reaction score
Back in febuary 1984 whilst float fishing the free stretch on the river wharfe near ilkley .My float went under and i reeled in a brown trout,in went the disgorger to take the hook out as the fish had really swallowed the hook.I could not get the hook out being inexperienced i cut the line and returned the fish.When i came to tie a new hook on my line the hook was still there.Took me ages to fathom out that my hook had caught the loop on the line stuck in the trout.

J

jason fisher

i've caught a couple of red maggots while i was fishing bronze before.

and one small perch while my bait was 2" above the surface, it actually jumped out of the river to take while i was shipping my pole out.

alex potter

Reaction score
Me and a two mates where fishing a large still water when one landed a 10lb08oz carp witha deformed mouth. nothing wierd about that i was then fishing a few swims down about 20mins later i hooked and landed a 10lb80z carp on inspecting the fish we found it was the same one. same markings and same wierd mouth.
Then my mate lifted his rod out of the water and stood it up on his seatbox with his double maggot clear out of the water two minutes later while he was talking to me his rod was nearly dragged into the water. on grabbing his rod he felt a nice carp after landing and weighing the fish 10lb08oz we inspected it again we were confronted with the same deformed mouth. what are the chances of that!!!

G

Ged

Once caought a Stickleback on Lob worm. The fish wasn't hooked, the worm had been taken in through the Stickleback's mouth, the tail of the worm had then gone out through it's gill opening.