PETA Dawn Carr and All

J

john ledger

If this young lady gets her way the only thing we will be doing in the future will be talking about angling while we eat lettuce sanwiches under oil lights. How do we stop her likes,who funds PETA.
Its time anglers for once stood together . No i go fly fishing so i will be ok,specimen hunter so it will not effect me and everybody doing their own little thing. I have heard this woman on radio and she is the pits using her well read script with the smiling voice.When i tried to get on there was no chance,no doubt the same applied to others.
Rest assured it will no dog cat or rabbit next and horse racing a certainty to be banned. Any ideas?

P

Phil Heaton

What if all the Uk's anglers joined PETA, had a vote of no confidence in the organisers and put Ron Clay in charge

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

What do they pay?

Seriously I have said this before and I will say it again. Angling will be taken apart bit by bit, little by little if we all don't stand up and stop this happening.

The thin end of the wedge is in place on many waters with the ban on barbed hooks or livebaiting. Some town councils have angling bans on many of the waters they control.

Then will come the ban on keepnets and matchfishing. Then they will ban the releasing of fish alive.

Ultimately angling will prove just too problematic for many people and they will give it up altogether.

I truly get the hell in with anglers who want to ban livebaiting and barbed hooks. They just do not realise what they are doing!

They are opening the doors to further bans, that's what.

P

Phil Hackett 2

For obvious reasons (antis read websites) no one from any of the National Angling Bodies are going to make statements about what they are doing about PETA and their ilk But rest assured things are being done at an international level.

J

john ledger

We should give them nothing ,not an inch and how Dawn Carr gets an invite by radio stations with her track record is beyond me. She has failed miserably in her own country and then decides to come over here.
Recently on the phone poll on Talk Sport radio 96% of the listeners voted in favour of angling and she made a complete fool of herself with her lack of knowledge.
I hope Peter Jacobs gets onto this thread because Peter is well informed on Miss Carr

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that the reason that Dawn Carr is invitied onto so many radio programmes is that the BBC are (mainly) "closet anti angling" and they revel in her presence on their shows.
In this manner they can be seen to support the anti angling movements yet maintain their (decreed) independence.
Whether or not the BBC's programme researchers actually do their job finding out about her background this certainly does not come across via the interviewers or programme hosts.
Again, I would suggest that this is by design and not accident.

The only way that she and her ilk were taken off the air in the USA was after so many anglers, and the general public, complained to the various stations.
Most of these stations are only maintained by the revenues generated from advertisers who were lobbied by the supremely powerful angling associations and by threatening to withdraw their advertising only then did Ms Carr loose her platform.

Sadly, the BBC is funded altogether differently and my experience of written complaints is that they simply don't care to respond.
Moreover, I do not see any angling organisation or body in this Conuntry that is either sufficiently experienced, staffed or funded to make our complaints heard!

Until and unless we eventually get such a body then the only way to combat PETA in general and Ms Carr in particular is to continue to write complaints and requests to be given the opportunity to reply (which is also inherent within the BBC's Charter)

Additionally, any remotely unlawful act(s) committed by her or her followers must be stringently persued via the police authorities.

Failing this, then we will have to put up with the odious Ms Carr, and her like for many years to come.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Yeah well that idea of the 51st state is looking better by the day.

At least both Dubya and Kerry go fishing and shooting.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I see that there is a big seal cull taking place in Canada. Damn good thing too. If there is any animal that is overpopulating the world it is the blinkin seal.

They eat too many fish and anyway I am running out of seals fur for my fly tying.

Of course Peta and all the bleeding hearts will be protesting.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently on the PETA web site they are running their (interminable) campaign to stop us all from eating meat.

On this morning's radio 4 Farming Today programme they ran an article on a genetically manipulated strian of sheep in Australia that are bred with no woll on their backsides. This is apparently to prevent an intrusive surgical procedure which stops some parasite entering the sheep's backsides.

Now, the Australian PETA representative stated that they were particularly happy to see this new 'mutant' sheep as it means that 'they" (the sheep) will be saved from this surgery.

Talk about bloody irony.
These are sheep reared for the meat market that PETA are so keen to see abolished!!!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

What Peta and the other twits do not understand is the sheep, cattle, pigs, cats, dogs, pheasants etc etc etc would not exist without the fact that they are bred by us for our own use.

The Canadians HAVE to cull something like 300,000 seals, otherwise cod stocks would deteriarate terribly. A seal can eat 100 lbs of fish a day.

Clubbing is the most humane way of killing seals by the way. Far more effective than shooting with a rifle.

J

john ledger

Peter
Thanks for coming on any input from you is well worth reading as you are well informed on this subject
Peter i have often wondered what the likes of Dawn Carr would do if she was on her death bed and only animal/fish organs could save her or would that be a waste of a good fish?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And I wonder how many members of Peta and other ant-everything groups have had their lives saved by drugs that have been developed by animal experiments and animal testing.

What a lot of people don't realise is that deseases such as smallpox, polio, diptheria, TB, etc etc are now controlled and in some cases eradicted by the help of animals.

The pharmaceutical industry have to test for toxicity using animal implants on all materials used that produce drugs. It is law!

The United States Pharmacopaea, FDA, EP, BP and other drug control agencies world wide HAVE to insist that animal testing is performed. The ALF have actually stopped an important drug testing laboratory being built in Oxford.

Remember thalidomide. It wasn't tested enough. Little do they understand.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Ron you don't half talk some bolloxs at times!

"The Canadians HAVE to cull something like 300,000 seals, otherwise cod stocks would deteriarate terribly. A seal can eat 100 lbs of fish a day.

The Greenland Cod was commercially extinct 20 years ago through man?s overexploitation of the stocks. To this day the stocks are not back from the brink of total extinction. That was F all to do with seals, as is the current proposed slaughter, it?s about man?s greed and multinational profit.
North Sea cod (chippy cod) are on the verge of commercially extinct and in less than ten years will follow the Greenland cod if affirmative action isn?t taken to protect what stocks are left.

As to can eat a 100lb of fish a day ? no predator can eat half its body weight in a day, not even cormorants. And certainly not a mammal with a highly developed digestive system. 30 lbs yes possible, 100lbs Bolloxs!

Clubbing isn?t more efficient than shooting it?s just bloody cheaper and more barbaric.

If we need to kill animals (and in this case I?d argue we don?t) lets have it done in a humane way either shot or humanely killed as we dispatch domestic livestock stunned and/or shot with a captive bolt. And don?t tell me it can?t be done because it can, the pup can?t run away and there are mobile methods as I?ve described, I should bloody know I was after all a slaughterman for 20 years, before I took my degree in Environmental Studies and became an Ecologist.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Maybe two of the websites I have been reading are talking Bollocks Phil.

S

swordsy

A kingfisher will eat 1.6 times its own body weight a day in fish during pre-breeding conditioning but it cannot balance a ball on its beak and is incapable of clapping after eating a 2lb herring.

:O)

sorry.

J

john ledger

Often wondered if it would be a good idea to get some our ethnic friends into the art of angling, to give us a bit more clout and i am not joking when i say that
The present government with teflon Tony(i will give into anything for your vote)in charge might just listen to a couple of million muslims

T

Tony Urwin

What do baby seals drink?
Canadian club on the rocks :)

Apologies somebody had to do it

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

PETA are now treated almost as joke by U.S. anglers because as Peter said they were to well organised and of course over there it is estimated that a third of all Americans go fishing and it is therefore a multi-billion dollar industry. The abolition of fishing would be seriously damaging to many local economies such as Florida and Southern Alaska.
It is simply because we are in a much weaker position that PETA then turned it's attention to us.
The biggest blow to PETA would be for the Charity Commission to investigate it's involvement with illegal activities. If they are found to be involved in any such way then their charity status would have to be withdrawn and their members face the possibility of being charged with belonging to a criminal organization. This was threatened by U.S. fishing organizations and helped to greatly reduced their activities in the U.S..

P

Phil Hackett 2

Ron they probably are depending on who wrote them. I.e., Canadian Seal Clubbers Unlimited.