Rod building

K

Kevan Farmer

Can anybody tell me the best way of removing a tip ring from a carbon rod? The last attempt I made at this was with a glass rod a long time ago. It ended in disaster with the glass disintegrating. With this disaster in mind I don't want the same happening to the two rods I have in mind. I'm going to be changing the tips for threaded ones on a pair of matched Daiwa Powermesh 1.25 tc's.

Any ideas would be great.

S

Steve King

If the glue is the "hot melt" stuff dipping the tip in boiling water will often suffice. However if superglue has been used a flame from a fag lighter does the trick.

W

Wolfman Woody

Why the hell you would want to change them for threaded rings is anyone's guess? Going back 30 years with swing tips eh? It's about time they were made illegal. :eek:)

However, what has always worked for me is warming the end ring up with a lighter or candle and, gripping the ferrule with a pair of pliers, tug the ring gently off. It usually goes, eventually.

J

jason fisher

let me put them in and out of my car about 20 times chances are you'll have no tip and a rod about 2" shorter.

K

Kevan Farmer

Cheers guys. Erm, Jason, I've done similar to that a few times when I used to ride a pushbike. Wet weather, muddy track and a sudden gate or something just don't like each other. The brakes would usually fail - none of your modern discs remember, these were the good old side pull rubber blocks. It usually ended up with me going bang into a fence or something accompanied to the sickening crunch or splintering fibreglass.

I'll persevere with the hot water as the last time I tried a fag lighter. With the results that I have already stated :-((( I hope Daiwa didn't use superglue. But they will be used for swingtips and quivertips sometimes, old fashioned ideas still work sometimes :)))

Cheers.

S

Steve King

Kevan, hot water is rarely any good, it must be BOILING to stand any chance.

Whether you choose water or a flame, heat up and try gently to remove the ring with pliers & just keep repeating. If using a flame try short bursts - if you heat up too much you will set the blank on fire. Heating and cooling in succession eventually breaks most glues.

P

Phil Heaton

For the sake of 10mm you could just cut the ferrule part of the tip ring off, with no hidden damage to the blank.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Done 100s with a fag lighter never had a problem. The way to do it is only heat the lower metal part of the ring and not the blank with the flame. 10 - 20 seconds of flame heat does it ever time. Super glue and epoxy resins break their adhesion when heated.
In truth, I?ve never come across a glue used on tip rings that can?t be removed by flame heat.

K

Kevan Farmer

I'll give the fag lighter option a go. I really don't want to chop any off the tip as I doubt I could get the new tip to fit then. The clearance is very close :) I will try to set something up whereby I can apply constant pressure pulling the tip off while I can gently play the flame under and around it. That way, as soon as the glue bond breaks it should come straight off....well, that's the theory :)

K

Kevan Farmer

Ok, just to update on this. It worked :) the fag lighter trick I mean. I tentatively played the flame over the ring tube - turning it all the time - while I clipped a set of spring tweezers on the ring. This way, with the tweezers set at an angle of about 90 degrees to the rod the weight of them pulled the ring around when the glue had broken. Which meant I didn't have to apply mor eheat than I needed and so risking damaging the blank. I did have to take some metal from the inside of the replacemnt threaded tip ring but it's now gone on a treat.