Sheep Feed Pellet (Ewe Nuts) & Molasses

Milo

Reaction score
I rang a local animal feed merchant today who will happily sell me 25 kilos of sheep feed pellet for ?5 and 5 litres of molasses for ?3.90. My question is, how long can I store these once they've been opened?

I would have asked the bloke, but I didn't want him twigging I was an angler and bumping the price up!

D

Deecy

Keep the pellets in a container with an airtight lid and they will last as long as you could wish.I am still using a 5 litre container of mollasses that must be three years old.

Milo

Reaction score
Cheers Dave, I'll pop down there this week and pick them up in that case!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
milo,just out of intrest how do you use the sheep feed and the mollasses???
i`m presuming its for prebaiting???
what form does the mollasses come in and do you use any other animal type feeds???

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Same question from me, something Ive never thought of using but as I keep sheep its a free and available bait, Im sure the ewes wont mind if I "borrow" a couple of kg LOL
So what do you do with em???

J

jason fisher

stuff em in a spod , or stuff em in groundbait, or scald em and ball em in or put em in a pot with just enough molasses dissolved in hot water to cover em and leave em to soak.

Milo

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of response! For some reason, I wasn't getting the notication e-mails for any replies to threads I'd posted on, and then got bombarded!

Thanks for answering the question Jason! Yes, I'll be using the sheep feed (which is pretty much the same as CSL pellet but without the price tag!) to create a carpet on the bottom, and the molasses as an attractant. I've heard it's a good groundbait additive.

I've not used these baits before, but I have used various pellets and CSL liquids in the past to good effect. The animal feed route is cheaper, hence my interest :) I wasn't aware mollases was available in various forms, I thought it was always sold as a sticky viscose black liquid?

I have to admit, I've not been to collect them yet due to other commitments, but I will be doing!

Milo

Reaction score
When I do go, I'll pick up a full price list if they have one to see what other fishable goodies they have to offer!

W

Wolfman Woody

I saw VDE Molasses in teh tackle shop yesterday. ?3.25 for 250ml and from the horsey shop ?4.10 for 5 litres.

If VDE's is a bit sweeter, try adding some sugar, it's cheap enough.

Look out for beet too, as in sugar beet.