Rigs

A

Andy Doughty

Having recently purchased a new Shimano Carryall, I have been looking at just how much crap I take fishing. Do I really need to take enough kit to rig up every option under the sun? Twice.
When it comes down to it I only ever use four rigs. Maybe with a slight variation, but only four basic rigs.
1. Drifter float
2. Normal float, could be fished laying-on style or up in the water.
3. Running leger, maybe popped up or with a stem.
4. Poppernoster
The question is, What rigs do use? How few rigs do you need to cover all eventualities?
And yes, I do need a new carryall, a smaller one!

S

Shane Morrison

Hi there Andy,

I have a lot of tackle, but i have got one setup i keep in the car at all times and it lets me fish anywhere! All i got is one 5mtr pole teloscopic, one 3.6mtr rod shimano carp, degorger, assorted lines and floats and weights hooks and a cloth, oh yeah and my teloscopic landing net. it weighs less than 30kg and i can carry it anywhere. i can tie any of the above rigs with this gear. but work your own setup, if you look in you tackle box you will fing a lot of gear that you can leave at home!

S

Shane Morrison

Ps. I meant all my gear weighs 30kg, not just me net!!!

DOH!!

D

David Marrs

Heyyup Andy,

Im going through a crisis at the moment with the amount of gear I take Zandering. Basically Ive bought a new inflatable bed for use at this time of year which negates the need to carry a bedchair. Ive also went through my rucksack like a plague of locusts and cut out about 15kgs, for 1 nighters I take a bottle of evian water as a pose to the 5 gallon drum, this saves quite a bit of weight. I use three rods and I always fish either 2 livebaits on helicopters and a suspended dead or 2 deads with 1 live, rigs come courtesy of Steve Youngers superb Zander book. Deads seem to be producing more this year!!!

C

Chris Bishop

I want a couple of good telescopic rods for walkabouts - anyone got any suggestions..? Something light with a crisp action I can trot with.

On the bag front, get one of those shoulder bags the trouters use - you can just about get enough in it so you're covered with spare floats, traces etc and have the right unhooking/weighing gear.

Agree your new bag weighs a ton mate - I helped you move swims a few weeks back and it nearly killed me.

Yesterday was a good crack, the river's far quieter around dawn than it is at night round there.

A

Andy Doughty

Just got a South Bend Explorer Midi size pack from Harris Angling. Only ?20 and you cant fill it with crap. I`ll still be taking the big-one on sit down day sessions, but the little bag is a great size for wandering zander sessions and lure fishing. Once again super service from Harris!

And yes, that bit of the river is great early morning.

C

Chris Bishop

When you don't get jinxed... What amazes me is people turn up to pump out the toilets in their boats at 6am. Nice morning dear - shall we go and pump the karsi..?