night sessions

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`m looking to purchase some sort of cooking gear and a lantern and head torch for this years night fishing sessions including swordsy`s barbel fish in.any personal reccomendations and the usual pros and cons would be most grateful.
on the cooking front i`m only looking for something to boil enough water to fill my flask and perhaps do a boil in the bag type meal.i`m reluctant to buy anything that runs of petrol because of fears of leakage and having tackle etc tainted with a petrol smell.
what do you reckon???

T

The Monk

I would say a Coleman, no problem with the smell of petrol if you are careful, however the trangia is the one many hikers use, not bad really and they run off meths, failing that you could use the gas cannester type. As for light I use a small flourescent type tube with a dimmer switch fitted and a large battery charger plus a head torch

S

Steve Ayscough

For cooking I use a coleman outlander stove that runs off a gas cartridge, so no worries about petrol tainting my bait. It packs down quite small so doesn't take up too much space in my rucksack.
I don't generally use a lantern but use a Petzl Tikka plus head torch which I've been using for the past 2 seasons without any trouble + the new ones come with a red filter so it doesn't destroy you night vision

D

David Marrs

I use the little tiny gas burner tops which screw on top of the camping gas tins. The gas tins you use can range from the size of a deoderant can or those as used in tandem for BBQ type affairs. I used to use a triangia years ago, I stopped using it as I was sure that the meths was contaminating my fingers and then my bait.

I too use a Petzl Tikka head torch. I always take a spare torch but rarely use it. I wouldn't use a lantern and I always limit the use of my headtorch to the unhooking of a fish, reason why? I prefer to fish without anyone knowing I am there if I can help it!

Instead of cooking water, I'd try to make a flask beforehand for a quickie one nighter and cook something along the lines of stewed steak or summit, which cooks quickly in a small pot. Cooking water will drain the gas from your cooker faster than it takes Tony Blair to smile whilst he composes a retort! Obviously if you go for much more than one night and if you have the chance of inclement weather then you have no choice but to cook water, take spare canisters always as when you need em most they'll let you down!

Going back to the light routine, I find that even after waking up in the dark, night vision is almost instantaneous, I very rarely would use my headtorch until unhooking my fish. Indeed I often leave a Zander in the net recovering as I scamper back to the bivvy and retrieve my headtorch.

Rgds,
Dave

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Head torch - Same as the rest petzel. I also carry a Ron Hutcinson smaller than my petzel but without the swivel head as a back up.

Cooking - I use a trianga for short sessions. Contains 2 pans and a little kettle for brews. Always use a kettle for boiling water as a pan ususally takes upto twice as long to boil. I am also looking at getting one of these gas cannister types that are the size of a real gas ring for keeping in the car or sessions were i am bivvied up.

Latern - Never use them as Dave says above night vision more than adaquate and head lamp for rig tying etc. I find the blue halogen lights dont kill the night vision as much as a normall lights.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
one question regarding the trangia type cookers.where do you purchase the fuel for them???
i`ve found an army surplus type site that sells them brand new/un issued (swedish army) for ?12.95 + p&p
if any one wants the details,i`ll gladly pass it on.there is also some trangia stuff on e-bay as well.

S

Steve Ayscough

Nick trangia stoves run on meths. you can get it from some supermarkets, some petrol stations. failing that most camping shops sell it but be careful as the flames from a trangia stove cannot be seen in bright sunlight!

J

jason fisher

i won't have you disparaging ron he's going to teach me to fluff fling on saturday.

J

jason fisher

i'm hoping too clive but i fear we may be in for a bit of a grueller if the weather forecast is right.

C

Clive Evans 1

Come south a bit Jason.
Forecast is not so bad for the midlands and there is plenty of good water, as Ron knows well.

J

jason fisher

The press manor FM fish in, it's already booked for press manor, unless some one knows of a method of shifting a whole fishery for a weekend, i think going further south might be a bit difficult.

J

jason fisher

my ears don't stand much chance anyway, i'm expecting a fetching new earring on saturday night complete with hackles.

S

swordsy

Jason went fishing with Ron yesterday, you have a fine teacher.

B

Bully

Nick - I bought a chub head torch for me and my son. ?10 each, used loads, hours of battery life, perfect light. So Why ?30 plus on petzl???? Also you can get them in camping shops like Millets, again ?10 a go.

Me thinks petzl taking pi55.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I've got a Petzl zipka and a chub torch, both are very good but I think the Petzl is better quality.
For a tenner you can't go wrong with the Chub torch.