Should angling have a mascot?

Reaction score
How many feel angling should have a mascot?
The reason why I'm asking is I have had a fantastic time with my new pup and have been invited into so many homes so the wife or children can meet him and have even been asked if I could take him to a local school to meet the kids so perhaps a loving animal like a Newf could be a mascot and help to promote the sport with the youngsters.
I wonder if he was on the front cover of a fishing mag just how many non anglers would be tempted to buy it because of the lovely face which you can not but fall in love with.
Or is it a crazy idea?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Not a bad idea Stuart.We need to be as media friendly as possible & also to appeal to kids.I'm not sure a dog would be appropriate & a fish might be a better idea.Hard to lug it round schools though!
Maybe some sort of cartoon mascot? Timmy the Tench? Any other ideas?

A

Angler Saxon

I reckon a Kingfisher would be a good symbol.
It's a beautiful bird. It fishes. It symbolises the care that anglers have for the environment.

S

swordsy

That bird from PETA stuffed and stuck on the end of a twelve foot pole, wearing a hat made of cormorant feathers, a fox fur wrap and seal skin boots

sorry

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

We have got our own mascot already

The Monk!!

Clikfire

Reaction score
I reckon it should be that shark off Finding Nemo cartoon, the one with a Hook for an earing.

MarT

Reaction score
Hey Lee...got to admit it...for a s/yorks tart...you are brilliant mate.
You are fast becoming my hero!
HaHaHa

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea Stuart.
A dog (watchdog) that would represent anglers, the watchdogs of the water ways.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Me thinks you have secret desires and fetishes on Ms Carr Lee :0)

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Lee, you forgot to mention the moleskin bra, panties and suspender belt.

W

Wolfman Woody

I have yet to see this ruddy great beast of yours, Stuart. I wouldn't want him diving into my garden pond since he'd probably empty it. :eek:)

John Lock (Angler Saxon) has it. Angling Times' Juniors were called Kingfishers at one time and other organisations have use the bird as their motiff. Got to admit as well, that all the birdwatchers go frantic when they see one. If only they'd sit still like anglers do, they'd see even more of them then.

Reaction score
Not long back from his walk Jeff, he's getting larger by the hour :)
It takes me ages to walk the little devil, but he has that pulling power and there are some nice young ladies to chat up :)
Got through the teething stage now its the suck you to death stage and my arms are black and blue :)

You should have seen him yesterday, he met a group of kids who all gave him a big cuddle and Bruce enjoyed all the fuss. When we fish the CA watch how many come down for a chat but I will have to keep his drool away from them as he has a habit of shaking his head and sending the stuff flying.
I think a Newf would be a perfect mascot as they are water dogs and life savers with a sweet temperment and the looks of a big cuddly teddy bear. Chidren love pups and associate them with love and cuddles thats why I think it would be a good idea.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Sorry ,but I'm afraid the kingfisher is copyright .....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The Kingfisher is the mascot for me.

You can't copyright a bird Ed.

S

swordsy

Phil you've rumbled me mate, I think she's a fox!

I just wanna roll her in silken tofu and tie her up with non-animal sourced leatherette straps and bang her arse off on a faux fur rug besides an environmentally freindly heating appliance!

P

Phil Hackett 2

I think Ed has a picture of her and her sister on thread in the baitbox called Fishing crisis..... Lee

S

swordsy

I'll take (DAWN) the one on the left, you can have the(SISTER) one on the right and we can swap over at half time.

:O)