Labour's New Charter For Angling

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

If Labour are going to implement this charter and there are no adverse conditions to angling therein then it could be a real smack in the eye for the anti's.

W

Wolfman Woody

How convenient. Just as a General Election is announced. Can we hold them to it?

What, me cynical?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If the antis say anything against it, John Prescott will smash them in the face.

egghead

Reaction score
Woody what are the other partys offering angling not much so far let give them a chance we have a least got a MP who is a angler working for anglers not just looking for votes mark salter as been working at this for a year not since tuesday

W

Wolfman Woody

Nothing against it at all. I helped to promote their first version written by Tom Pendry MP in 1995. Only then it was released 18 months in advance of any election.

I've always been suspicious of promises just before elections. Thatcher was famous for dropping some in, like promising jobs in marginal constituencies.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Where are your comments on this one then Ron ???
(You are always so quick to 'have a go' at Labour)

P

Phil Hackett 2

Whilst I welcome this charter and the work put in by the politicos of FACT, I do share Jeff?s concerns.

However, things taken in the round, it will still not convince me to vote Labour, and for that useless piece of detritus we have as a Labour MP for the constituency I live in.

Yes I will vote, but it won?t be Labour or Tory though, so that leaves all other fringe parties with an opening to persuade me they are worthy of my protest vote.

I personally don?t think democracy is served well when parties have huge majorities. It breeds contempt and arrogance bordering on democratic dictatorship whilst they are in power.
In my view democracy is served best when parties have a small working majority. This helps to curve the excesses of the extremists, self-publicists, megalomaniac and other assorted headbangers within those parties.

It also makes those work-shy pieces of detritus, do things in their constituencies for the electorate who put them there.

Published manifestos and charters when a party has a small working majority actually mean something, and that something means they?re more likely to deliver on what they published.

egghead

Reaction score
Ed Ron;s must be out canvasing for his republic party

S

swordsy

I contacted the labour party for a copy of the original charter and was told they no longer kept any copies and I could source one from from the British museum, well that about sums up labours feeling for angling, they would like to see us in the museum along side their worthless bit of dross they dress up as a serious piece of political worth.

LOAD OF CRAP, LABOURITE ELECTION SHITE!

Reaction score
I never vote, they are all the same and when | watch them on TV they come across as a big bunch of children having a right laugh at us.
Labour told us we have 14 days to save the NHS, thats a joke. They also said they would stop the increase in house prices but no way as they know once you have a high morgage you are stuck in the system working for them till you drop. Just think if ?30000 was the price of your property would you work till 60 or 65 or would you be relaxing on the river bank once you paid the morgage off and perhaps toke a part time job only.
I enjoy each day now and they can go blow a whistle, you live but once make the best of it is my thoughts

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have just spent the last 2 hours reading this charter.

Fine word chaps, fine words.

It sounds marvellous.

But just how true are these utterences.

Sounds to me like a vote capturing ploy, and if Blair - a non angler and thick townie, gets in again, it will all be forgotten.

Just look at the bloody BBCs attitude to our sport. If they would come out an condemn the likes of Dench and MacCartney together with all the other antis and anti-vivs, I would be a lot happier.

C

Clive Evans 1

What, no free licence, Jason?
Ah well, cheap one for me next year anyway.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The Tory attitude is simple. What do anglers want a "charter" for?

Under a Tory government all sports will be allowed to control and regulate themselves.

Football doesn't have a charter, neither does rugby, cricket, shooting, tiddly winks or ferret legging.

A

Angler Saxon

>Under a Tory government all sports will be >allowed to control and regulate >themselves.

Yeah right Ron. Like their daft idea to scrap the rod licence - and their latest 'utterance' about getting rid of barbed hooks. If they have ideas about angling they should have the guts to put them on paper - not just throw out the odd (and I do mean 'odd') idea every now and then. I'm a Tory on most things but, as far as fishing is concerned, Labour's policies reassure me the most. The Charter may be an election ploy but it didn't get written overnight and a lot of thought and consultation has obviously gone into it. Labour aren't daft, they don't want to alienate 4 million or so anglers - many (most?) of whom are 'working class' and represent a significant percentage of their voting pool.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Yea well let's hope so.

I would like to see Martin Salter come on to this forum and give us some re-assurance.

Wearyone

Reaction score
Martin Salter; The man has probably done more for angling than any politician in history, don't think he needs to re-assure us.

Anyone who needs re-assurance just a few weeks before a General Election to determine which way to vote can't have any real convictions, which ever party they vote for, or not.