Just starting out

Richard Palmer

Reaction score
Hi, i'm just starting out in the fishing world, would like some advice please.

I have just brought a match rod/reel and a carp rod/reel ( gonna start with the match fish then move onto carp when confident).

Where's the best place to start to learn, for a newbie it's a bit daunting what with rigs, ledgers, hook to nylon, feeders, all the different knots ect ect....(although this site is helping).

Anyone from S.E. London and best place to fish for a beginner?

Was thinking of joing local club (run buy local tackle shop), but sounds a bit advanced to me.

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

P.s been fishing about 10+ years ago at Danson Park and Orton Kerby i think it was (vague memories), also at a caravan park in Hastings.

J

jason fisher

first things first get a hooktyer and learn to use it they cost about 3 quid and will save you a fortune in the long run. plus you will be using the hook you want to use tied to the hooklink material that you want to use.

hook wise drennan and kamasan take a lot of beating, for hook lengths get fluorocarbon.

the drennan polemaster stuff is pretty good but only goes up to about 3lb.

L

Laurie Harper

Ah, memories. I started fishing in Danson Park and did so through my teens (1960s). Had nice roach to around 1.75 lb. and carp to low double figures. The place was pretty hard hit during the sewage workers strike - lots of fish killed. I moved away from the area in the early 1970s. Is it still worth a visit? Would like to fish there again for old time's sake. Don't be put off by the "advanced" nature of the club you mention. Go to a few meetings and check it out - if they're a friendly lot, you can learn a lot very from them. Most club members are only too pleased to help a learner. Good luck.

N

NottmDon

For a beginner a club can be a great source of learning. My advice for what its worth is to read a few books on angling, the John Wilson ones are good for beginners and can be got from a library. Ask as many questions on these forums as you can, you wont go far wrong. Welcome and good luck.

Yan

Reaction score
As a relative beginner myself I found Dave Cooper?s <a target='_new' href="http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/1909/v/3/sp/
"><font color="red">First Class Fishing</a> series of beginner articles very useful. If you have specific problems Richard, try using the ?search for? facility to browse previous posts as there is a wealth of info hidden in the archives of this site. As Don says, don't be afraid to ask questions on the "beginners and improvers" section. Good luck with your fishing.

Yan

Reaction score
Oops, ignore the font colour Richard, the link still works.

Yan

Reaction score
Richard,
<a href=?http://freespace.virgin.net/g.marsden/?>this site</a> is useful as it tells you what to do when you arrive at your peg, how to set out your tackle so you don?t look like a complete idiot, (It?s a pity I didn?t read it before my first few sessions). I have never seen this sort of advice in other fishing guides. Very useful.

Richard Palmer

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies,

Laurie Harper - I popped over to Danson Park the other day to see what it's like, they are building about half a dozen platforms for fishing, there's alot of crap in the water from what i could make out and i saw 3 dogs jump in the water, not to mention a few boats spalshing around. There's one end of the lake cornered off from fishing (with ALOT of crap in the water, old tree's, car tyers, rubbish ect...), wasn't anyone fishing there at the time when i was looking around.

A hook tyer sounds usefull, thanks for the tip, would if be best to use ready made rigs to start off with?

Yan - thanks for the links some good reading and handy hints there.

Just out of interest has anyone here fished at Monks Lakes and is it worth a trip down there?

Anybody know of any descent lakes around london/ North Kent area(s) with day ticket for beginners?

Thanks again,

Richard

L

Laurie Harper

Richard. Hallo again. Re. day ticket waters in your neck of the woods, don't know if Horton Kirby is still day ticket - it was 30 years back. Brooklands Lake near Dartford was, too. Had some good days there. Wonderful roach (to 2lb.) if you could find them. Also v. large carp and pike. Was controlled by Dartford Angling and Preservation Soc. if memory serves. Might be worth asking in local tackle shops if they still exist. I think they had other waters, too. Thanks for info. on Danson - don't know if I'll go if it's a bit of a mess. Don't want to spoil my memories.

Andyw

Reaction score
I BOUGHT A HOOK TYER.... BLOODY THING I CAN'T GET TO GRIPS WITH IT!!! MIGHT AS WELL HAVE BEEN WRITTEN IN JAPANESE!!

Mark Dillerstone

Reaction score
A hook tyer was the best thing I bought, my knot tying was useless. I agree it seems a bit strange when you first use them but once you've got the hang of it they are dead easy I wouldn't be without mone. I bought a back up too just incase.