Angling Trust forum to close

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
By the very nature of what the AT is about, there are many contentious issues that would spark a bit of passion. But it is a members only forum encouraging the use of real names, so I'm suprised that is the case.

Maybe they've run out of volunteer Mods!! :rolleyes:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Not really any contentious issues, more specifically the Board, what/whoever, refused to engage on issues where some member's had genuine concerns.

Understandably when questions are repeatedly ignored people can and do become frustrated, however 'very aggressive' would stretch even the wildest of imaginations.
The closure of the forum is indicative of the management of the ATr

Morespiders

Reaction score
Why can't the management reply to the members concerns, must admit they are at this present time looking toothless

Reaction score
Well I just got my renewal notice and I'm undecided whether to renew. On the one hand 'the voice of angling' needs members and cash to do it's work, but on the other am I just throwing my hard earned at an organisation that just 'looks very busy' but having little effect?

904_cannon

Reaction score
Now closed. The previous statement said the current discussion forum board would be kept open until the next Atr newsletter is published, looks like 'The Management' just couldn't wait.

I'm also currently experiencing problems opening up the official ATr web site, cant see that it's being overwhelmed by the members :)

Michael Heylin

Reaction score
John

It was your publication of confidential board discussion documents, which had already been rejected by the board, which forced the early closure and you are being disingenuous in your posts above.

904_cannon

Reaction score
It was passed on to me by an ATr member Mike, nothing to say 'confidential'
That does not excuse the absolute dismissal by the Board and whoever else of those members asking questions on the forum, long before that item appeared. My reading of it, it was a done deal with letters ready to go out to clubs etc.
Or is this just another example of people doing their own thing without Board approval.

I am no longer interested in what the ATr or ML does. I said at the start that I would support the ATr for 3 years by way of paying subscriptions and that I will do, but that's as far as I will go, at least with its current CEO

cam clearie

Reaction score
oh what a shame i have only just joined i had so many questions and i am not aggresive in the slightest ...so i suppose all i can do at this late stage is say ..i am not a fan ...

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Have never been on the ATr forum so cannot comment on the specific issue of why it has closed but I respond to the poster that queries what the ATr has achieved. To my mind its rather a chicken and egg situation.

Power lies in the hands of the politicians; they respond to the opinions (real or imagined) of voters. When the RSPCA or the RSPB trots up to discuss badgers or bird sanctuaries there is a flunky standing behind the Minister whispering "750,000 members" or "nearly 1 million members". When the ATr comes calling the flunky says "maybe 10,000 if they're lucky".

To my mind the ATr has done bloody well. I can't recall ever seeing stuff in Private Eye about water abstraction like I have when the ATr pushed. I don't recall seeing any other angling group approaching Ministers.

Yes I'm in favour of accoutability to the members but when it comes to 'hey lads hey' we haven't done enough ground work in terms of membership to earn the right to start slinging mud. Lets wait until we have a hundred thousand plus.