Quality sunglasses

G

Gary Knowles 2

I have several pairs of cheap sunglasses that I use just for fishing. But what I would like is a quality pair that I can use for going on holiday and also for fishing when I'm away.

The last pair I had like this were 'Dirty Dog' an Australian make favoured by surfers. These were really good and looked good as well.

Can anyone recommend where I can get the kind of thing I'm after. i.e stylish frames with quality polarised lenses..

It's a serious question by the way guys !!!

L

Laurie Harper

Suggest you look at some of the ones they make for cyclists and skiers. They're designed to be impact resistant and stay on while you're moving about. Oakleys are great for those with loadsamoney, brands such as Bloc are fine for us ordinary mortals - my pair cost ?35 and are v. good.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Gary, there a lot of money but Oakley make many glasses with polarized lenses.

I used to sell Oakley stuff in a previous life and I have nothing but respect for the quality.

The main thing that Oakley have that other brands don't are tapered lenses. This results in the light being received at your eyes with far less distortion than every other brand I've seen. The benefit is that you can wear them all day without your eyes becoming tired and the resulting headaches.

They're not cheap at around ?130 for the ones with plastic frames and ?160+ for the metal frames versions. The lenses are worth around ?90 alone! They do loads of designs and I'd recommend trying them on in store before making a decision and many of the design fit differently.

Have a look at Oakley.com

Some of the designs aren't available in the UK, but many others will be available before they appear on their website. Also, not all dealers are equal. Some dealerships will have signed up for more stock and will have different ranges of glasses availble to them.

P

paul williams 2

Are they to go with your new Orvis fly waistcoat and hunter boots Barn? .... make my plastic shouldered donkey jacket and rolled over steeltoecapped wellies look sick on Saturday!!

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Its the Optix mate, I can even see through Wols lies with em!!!!

Seriously, as one who suffers from bad headaches after a day looking out over water, Its the Optix Cormorants for me, and Ive tried most.

W

Wolfman Woody

Are they to look good or to see good? If they're to make you look good there's ... erm ...... agh .....

Have a look a Boll? or Ocean (both around ?100+) or if you can stretch to them Serengeti (about ?200). Check with the mail order fly fishing companies, TightLines, Fishtec and others.

E

Eric Hayes

Gary go to Carters in Preston and try the Bolle's. At over 100 quid they aint cheep but I've been using them for a few years now and I love them. The metal frames look good and the lenses are top notch.
Bolle Lens Technology

I got the Vanadium II with polarized Sandstone lenses.

HREF="http://www.bolle.com/performance_eyewear/metals.shtml">Metal Frame Range</a>

E

Eric Hayes

Oop's

HREF="http://www.bolle.com/performance_eyewear/metals.shtml">Metal Frame Range</a>

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I'm going to get my eyes tested again in a few days time.

A set of prescription polaroid varifocals is going to be a must.

Barney has taken my advice by the way. He won't be looking like a Noddy on Saturday. Got that new Greys XD ordered yet mate.

S

Skive

Gary,

I can fully recomend Oakley. I bought two pairs some time ago when in the states. Since then I have purchesed a further two pairs as I lost the originals. They are expensive(esp when you loose them) but are well worth the money. They might even make you look cool.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

He has to look the part, walk the walk and talk the talk if you know what I mean.

A propah flay fishah what!!

Can't be having one of our top anglers looking down-at-heel.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Thanks guys, lot's to go at there.

how's things Skive ?...hope your on the mend mate.

Are the Oakeys much cheaper in the states ?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Gary, Oakley try and maintain a high price worldwide so shopping around might not help, especially if you get stung on import tax. Worth a look though.

You can get copies and from Tenerrife etc. but the lenses aren't remotely the same.

I previously forgot to mention that Oakley have good back up. If you have a fault you can go into a dealer, pick up a freepost returns box, send them off and they will repair or replace whatever is necessary with 7 to 10 working days.

It's more than a bit naughty but I know loads of people who've sat on them, broken the frames and Oakley have sent a completely new pair. Of course you don't tell them that when you send them back!

If you bought a pair that were unique to the US you wouldn't be covered by warranty in this country if they found out.

Al Underwood

Reaction score
I keep on file and article from Consumer Reports saying that the cheap sunglasses tested gave as much protection as the "good" ones. Of course, I'm in the business of selling better "cheap" sunglasses to c-stores in the states...so, my advice is buy what you and your pocketbook likes, and know that a lot of what people pay for is good marketing!

P

paul williams 2

Yo Skive, how you doin mate be wondering where you were......can't you make the flyfishing "do" on saturday?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Al, yes they give as much UV protection. That's has nothing to do with quality of vision though (or build quality).

Lower quality lenses will affect the light coming through them more.

I used to think that sunglasses manufacturers, especially Oakley, were ripping people off.

The Oakley Rep who used to come into where I worked brought in a laser setup to show us why Oakley were so good.

A moulded plastic head was on a stand and laser light were emitted from the eye sockets on the head. The lasers could be aligned in any direction.

A piece of A4 paper was stuck on a window about 20 feet away and the laser calibrated so that the lasers from both eyes hit the same spot in the centre of the paper.

The rep showed us how to put the sunglasses on the plastic head and look at how the light had been deflected.

Also the plastic head could be angled and the lasers re-calibrated so that the lasers left at an angle before aligning on the. paper, 20ft away.

We tried around 30 pairs of Oakley?s from the cabinet we had and none of them deflected the laser by more than 3/4".

The rep had a case of around 40 pairs of sunglasses by other brands including Ray Ban, Bolle etc. and 90% of them were way off. I reckon the average pair deflected the light so much that the lasers produced 2 spots on the paper at least 3" apart.