banded pellets

adrian bunn

Reaction score
C an anyone tell me the best way to fish with banded pelletts. Should the pellets be banded to the shank or curved bit of the hook.Also whats the best way to fish banded pellets ie,ledger or float.

Milo

Reaction score
Adrian, when using hard pellets, I usually attach the band to the shank of the hook or use a hair-rig, and use this with either the ledger or float depending on my mood!

Soft, expanded pellets (i.e. expanders I've 'pumped'), I tend to side hook as they stay on better, and these I only ever float fish with as they come off easily. Try expanders straight out of the bag with a band too for surface work.

N

NottmDon

cant add much to what Milo says but a tip with hard pellets for banding is to file a groove into them so the band grips better and they dont fly off the hook on a cast.

M

matthew nightingale 2

Assuming you are using a 14mm pellet I wrap a band (one of the cheap bands sold for carpers to attach dog biscuits) twice around my forceps. Then open the forceps and insert the pellet. Withdraw the forceps. Then hook the band, twist your hook round, and hook the band again. This has the effect of gripping the hook tight to the side of the band. As the pellet gets soggy the hook actually sinks in a little. This works very well with barbel and I've always had very good hook holds on the lower lip. Hooks are are Size 10 Animal Barbless.