I'm looking for some tench fishing around Bristol

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hello, I'm after some tench fishing around Bristol. I'm looking for a tranquil, quiet venue, with plenty of "fizzing action" but can't seem to find any!I would really appreciate any advice or help.
Many Thanks and Best Fishes
Steve

R

Richard Trenberth

Hi Steve,
There aren't really any 'great' tench waters around Bristol but if there are some very good ones within reach. Down in South Cerney you'll find a load of gravel pits, all contain a good head of Tench & they grow to over 10lbs, you can find more details on http://www.ashtonkeynesanglingclub.info/

Cheddar resevoir is another spot that contains a large head of Tench, you can get tickets from the nearby camp site.

Only other advice is to try Hunstrete lakes on Bathampton angling club, not huge amounts of Tench action but they are in there, & some big uns to, more info at www.bathampton.org

Hope this helps

Rich

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks Rich,

As I don't get out as often as I would like (like many others), I tend to fish day ticket waters. I have fished South Cerney many times, with not much success. I also fished Hunstrete a few times. Cheddar was on my mind, as I have heard a lot of stories of large Tench there. From the boathouse side where is the camp site, for tickets?

R

Richard Trenberth

Steve,

The holiday camp site is in Axbridge, however you should be able to get day tickets from Veals in Bristol as well, cost is about a fiver. A word of warning though, because it's a huge concrete bowl if the wind picks up you can find the waves lapping around your feet & it can be quite difficult to fish.

As for South Cerney, there are two lakes in the main Cotswold water park which can be day ticket fished. For Tench I would go to the one called Top Pit which is the smaller of the two (not that either lake could be called small!). Ashton Keynes angling also hold the rights to another lake called Cokes pit, apparently this is very good for Tench but is closed until 16th June. I haven't fished it myself but I intend to.

Regards

Rich

JC

Reaction score
Steve, I fished the Axbridge side of Cheddar res this evening, and although I only had one "proper" bite (and missed it - DOH!!) there were a lot of fish on the move at dusk.

Drop me an email if you would like all the gen on the place, I've been fishing it for a fair few years now and love the place!!