I reckon MacWallet

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Developed from his Cheshire Mere days.

Isn't it strange that whenever the FM guys get together, somone has a mishap.

Kevin with his chair. Me with my 2 mile walk down the Ribble.

I wonder what will happen on Saturday.

I had better bring a first aid kit. Someone is going to get a fly in his earole.

W

Wolfman Woody

And he had the wallet out a couple of times, but never long enough for us to get cameras focused on it.

The words "Marsden" and "bream" are synonymous with each other hence him catching all these skimmers. For a while, Kevin and I (both in the middle) thought we were doing something wrong. What it was, was Graham and Stu were fishing maggot whereas, Kevin and I stuck to the harder baits of mini-boily, hard pellets, and maize.

Some people will do anything for an easy life.

If you've ever heard the term "eyes like chapel hat pegs" and had seen Graham with his chilli-shocker at dinner last night, you'll know what it was like. So, it's going to be a Jalfrezi next time then, Graham? :eek:)

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Old Papa Smurf does seem to bag them ole Bream dont he.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Peter, I wasn't on an end peg, there were two anglers in the next two pegs to the right of me, as well as our three to my left. The two on my right caught less than all of us.

Stu Dexter was on an end peg though, so he was bound to come second.....

Chavender, you'll have to remind me what you mean. It was a long time ago.

Graham, you're disqualified.

W

Wolfman Woody

Awwww!!! Poor old Willie-What-Not.

You'll have to butter the old Guv up now. A crisp brown tenner helps, or any extra slice of bacon (and brown sauce of course!)

N

Nigel Moors 2

Live not too far away from Clattercote but have never bothered to fish it as I always thought it was carp stuffed commercial. Each to their own but not my cup of tea. What is appealing to me is the sight and sound of all those Tench being caught. And on standard bottom float tactics too...and with maggots! Not on pellet. Will have to have some of that.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

I was only pulling Jeff's leg :-0

b.t.w. what is the width of the pegs at Clattercote? From the pictures of the venue it looks like you get a decent space between anglers.
Also, was there much being caught on the pole on the day that you were there Graham?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Peter, the pegs are very close together actually, I'd say no more than 10yds. There was no one fishing the pole on Tuesday, but they do occasionally. Problem is the carp are usually lying further out than pole distance, especially in a match. If you've got the tench in mind then no problem.

Nigel, obviously it varies, but 6 to 8ft at conventional float fishing distance (not bagging waggler) would be typical.

Going for the tench could be the best tactic on the day, you never know. Alan Roe once took second spot in the match with an all tench catch on the float.

All, Clattercote is in the main a commercial carp water, but not your typical 'hole in the ground' job, and it's not so stuffed with carp they're crawling up the rod making a match no more than a competition between those who can haul them in fastest.

It's a big water and the winner will be someone who chooses the right approach on the day and makes a good job of it. It won't be a simple peg lottery, although, obviously, some pegs will be better than others on the day.

At one time the match was float only and that really sorted the men from the boys, but we changed that as too many wouldn't fish it on that basis.

Yes, it is a match, but think of it this way, it's mainly a bloody good day out with a great bunch of lads that's structured around a match. Just come along and enjoy yourselves. And if you don't want to fish in the dead and buried closed season then just come along and watch the rest of us having a good time. We don't mind!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You daren't even attend 'cos you know I'll wop you as usual.

W

Wolfman Woody

And Peter won't come because he's frightened of splitting his canes! :eek:)

If you do decide to come, Peter, and fish with the pole for the tench, make sure it has some strong elastic (10s or 12s) because they are mental. I only wish they were 8 or 9 lb instead of the 3lb we were taking them at. And if you fish a rod, don't let it go, don't ever let it go unless the bale arm or clutch is off. Because you won't get a second chance.

W

Wolfman Woody

The pegs are so close because when a cold spring wind blows into your face you can huddle together for warmth without leaving your peg.

W

Wolfman Woody

There won't be much time for a natter during the match Graham. The fish are there and they will be feeding on something. We'll be too busy coxing them on to our offerings.

Graham buying us food? OOhh look! What's that big pinkish thing flying over making a snorting noise?

G

Gary Knowles 2

"You daren't even attend 'cos you know I'll wop you as usual"

Oh, I'm attending all right grandad, and i won't need several practice trips and assistance off Stu Dexter to whoop your ass....